* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software "Game" Development Book

The first chapter in this book turned out to be a good read.

"Development and Deployment of Massively Multiplayer Games: from social games to MMOFPS, with stock exchanges in between". (http://goo.gl/oMjDLr)

I originally started reading this beta book because I like to think one day I will make a game so occasionally read books/posts on the topic. But the first chapter could be really about developing any software application being done by a solo programmer or a full team.

The most interesting thing to me was about stakeholders and business requirements versus implementation. In particular, this line.

"Business Requirements SHOULD be expressed exclusively in [User]’s Terms"

To often developers (especially lone developers) get caught up in the technology and assumptions of what the users 'should' know/want, instead of producing something they will want to use and understand.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Yes!  You can always tell when an app was developed by a hacker who was focused on the technology because it will be butt-ugly.  It is amazing how much user interface/interaction and polish matter.  Many years ago I added some eye-candy to my app.  Turns out it is what sells the app and what people love most!  And now that I've learned, it's obvious it wasn't just 'eye-candy' but major usability and polish improvements.
Doug Send private email
Thursday, February 04, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics