* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Customer wants CD-ROM version

Hi!

We had a customer today that wants a CD instead of the download as the download does not work (I do not have more detailed informations atm). We currently only support online activation, so a CD version does not make sense and we also have not mentioned to ship a CD version.

Would you take money for burning and sending the CD?
And: Do you support offline activation?

Thanks & cheers
P
barnacleboy Send private email
Friday, January 22, 2016

If they can't get the download to work, they are probably going to be a support vampire, so you are more than likely better off without them as a customer.
Jason Send private email
Friday, January 22, 2016

I recently had a customer who was unable to run my licensed product. It's the very same as the trial one, only the exe is different. We tried everything, virus scanner disabled, verified privileges, sent the exe in different formats, made him copy the exe manually etc.
I can't even begin to imagine how it that possible. Maybe he was lying. Not sure why.
Zka Send private email
Friday, January 22, 2016

If the download doesn't work, and if the installer size is small, can you just email him the app?  Or maybe make a zip version of the setup.exe available for download, in case the exe is being blocked by his browser (it happens).
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, January 22, 2016

@Zka:  Maybe he was trying to run a Windows exe on a Mac.  ;)
Saturday, January 23, 2016

If the download doesn't work, then the CD almost certainly won't work either. Also customers like this can end up being a real drain on your time and then they end up demanding a refund. So, unless this sale is worth 100s or 1000s of dollars, I would just say "Sorry, we don't sell CDs".
Andy Brice Send private email

"Would you take money for burning and sending the CD?"

Yes, we charge $20 to $30 which covers the costs of burning and shipping overseas. Postage alone runs $10 to $20 for small packages to most places.

"Do you support offline activation?"

Absolutely. Lots of facilities we sell to are disconnected from the internet some or all of the time.
Scott Send private email

Oh you might ask him if he'd be OK with a USB flash drive or SD card version. This is less labor than burning a CD and can be sent in a smaller envelope.
Scott Send private email

Also customers tend to love getting a "free" USB drive that they just paid $30 for which cost me $2.
Scott Send private email

Thanks for your answers!

I guess the support vampire theory suits perfectly as they never ever have installed the app before. A virus scanner is blocking the setup, so I have offered the following options:

1) They could believe a Total Virus run I've sent them and unblock the software.
2) They could download the software anywhere else like Download.com - but why shouldn't they trust me?
3) They can get the money back - we are offering 30 days back guarantee.
4) I will send them the CD or USB drive since they are in my country.

Initially I hoped they will just unblock the virus, but now I think it would be better if the cancel the order... :D
barnacleboy Send private email
Monday, January 25, 2016

Every time when the download did not work, I just sent the customer to my listing on Download.com. The download from that page worked every time.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Hmm, is that because Download.com wraps your app in their installer, which is probably digitally signed as safe?  I wonder if that's actually a good way to "sign" your apps without paying to do it?

Its a good way to get your installer wrapped in all sorts of other crap (e.g. browser tool bar hijackers and other malware).
Andy Brice Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics