* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How to increase prices plans

Hi guys,

I'm the owner af a SAAS that work especially in Europe. I am planning to increase the prices plans. How to do with existing customers? I leave them with the old prices or I move them to the new price?

Stefano
Stefano Send private email
Sunday, January 17, 2016

Old customers always stay on the old price, but give them an incentive to upgrade. Technically, you hide the old plans (make it impossible to get) and create new plans.
Bring back anon Send private email
Sunday, January 17, 2016

How big is the increase?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Sunday, January 17, 2016

The increase depends by the plan. 

Example: from $ 9.00 to $ 14.00

from $ 19.00 to 24.00
Sunday, January 17, 2016

Existing customers are always grandfather in the current lower price plan as this what made sense for them at the time of signing up.

It also counts as an incentive for them not to cancel because if they need the software later on, they'll need to pay the higher plans. It's a win-win for both.
Jose Send private email
Monday, January 18, 2016

My idea is to move the old Customers to the new prices sending them a plenty notice.
Monday, January 18, 2016

That's not much difference in cost, a few dollars only.

I think i'd just be open about increasing the fees a little, now that the business is serious and you need to hire staff or whatever. Put it as a positive that you're growing and as you scale up you need a few dollars extra from each client.

To sweeten things I'd also offer the option of a 2 or 5 year contract to lock in the low cost. Get them thinking about their buying choices, rather than if they want to renew or not.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, January 18, 2016

If you raise the price for people who pay for, but do not use the service, you're giving them a reminder to cancel their account.
Oh to be anon again! Send private email
Monday, January 18, 2016

Has there service in anyway changed? If they still have the same service just at a higher rate then it's not a win for them.

Do what was suggested similar to what cell phone providers do. Allow you to stay on current plan til it expires or can no longer be supported. Then you have to sign up for the higher cost plan. The old plan still has users but no new users can sign up for it.

Changing rates but not changing services is what has gotten cable companies losing customers. It would lose me as a customer if I could find an alternative.

I had a Verizon for years that they had stopped offering because I was no longer under contract for it to expire and it was lower than any new plan for the same services. Wasn't until I finally needed more data while with them that I had to finally switch plans.

If it's to costly for that let them stay that price but end or reduce support. Offer another plan that will be a natural upgrade for them.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Monday, January 18, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics