* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

NoFollow links

Hi all,

I've been reading about NoFollow tags and apparently you're supposed to use them when linking to sites that have paid you, so that Google doesn't lower your ranking?  Is that correct?

Reason for asking: my new app will have a "library" web page of scripts that I intend to allow companies to pay to contribute to, along with a link back to their site or blog, etc.

As an example, it'll look something like this on my page:

Description: Email seating plan screenshot
Contributed by: <a href>TablePlan</a>
ScriptStart
[...]
ScriptEnd

As you can see, the company that contributed the script will have a link back to them, so I just want to confirm that I'd need to use the NoFollow tag in the link?

Thanks!
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, January 16, 2016

Also, while you're reading, how much is a fair price to charge for a working link like that?  I was thinking USD $99 for 365 days, and then the name remains but the link becomes plain text.  The company would then have an option to pay again for another year of working link.
Saturday, January 16, 2016

This tag is more than 10 years old. Get with the times.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, January 17, 2016

But it's still relevant, isn't it?  I saw this image which says it should still be used for paid links to prevent Google penalization:

http://searchengineland.com/download/nofollowtag-1000-2919.png

Maybe I should just add them to be safe?
Sunday, January 17, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics