* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Customer that dont want to Install Repair Tool/Remote Access

I had a customer that complained that the registration did not work.I followed the standard procedure with prompt email support and offered live chat on the website since it was going no where.

I asked if the person could give remote access? the answer was no.They were worried about installing malicious programs.
I asked them to download our fix tool created for this purpose to refresh the registration data.The answer i got for this was ' dont have time for this' (this tool shows new in chrome)
and waste of time blah blah . I Said we cannot help you unless you allow us.. 
The person said that they did not agree to download any file while installing the program blah blah ... and i offered refund.. then the person blah blah about waste of time.I was going to close the chat saying she wont let me help... then she said about paypal dispute thing .... even though i had offered refund already..

Finally i said we know fraudulent people and dont want such customers and refunded..

Thoughts ...?????
anonmax Send private email
Friday, December 18, 2015

Just refund them already. Then there is nothing to dispute.
S. Tanna Send private email

Be prolite. Be professional. Simply refund them, thank them for their consideratino and wish them all the best.
Marcus from London Send private email

@Marcus from London 

I know i need to be polite.I try hard as i can but at times some statements get to me.Had some experiences like this

A Customer said WTF i immediately responded with .. we dont take abuse here and simply refunded the whole cost and said good bye.

Next a Customer with multiple licenses to our product wanted to solve a problem i argued in a funny way about my price.. they said good bye.

May be customer service is not yet my thing.. the thing is im little frustrated by things going on me my life...(not much going on:) really).

Need to keep my cool

ignore the typo and the grammer plz .. no option to edit.

>Finally i said we know fraudulent people and dont want such customers and refunded..

I hope you didn't accuse them of fraud without serious evidence.

I completely understand why they wouldn't want to give you remote access to their computer.

>Need to keep my cool

Yes. Never send an email in anger. Come back when you have cooled down or don't reply at all.
Andy Brice Send private email

@andy They were not even ready to run our registration error fix tool.

>They were not even ready to run our registration error fix tool.

That is a bit annoying. But I guess they just 'want it to work'. They don't care if it is your fault that it doesn't. Just refund and move on. BTW this is the email I send out when someone asks for a refund:

"I am sorry to hear PerfectTablePlan did not meet your expectations.

The money back guarantee is valid for 14 days from purchase.

In line with our terms and conditions (http://www.perfecttableplan.com/html/terms.html) we need you to email us:
-why you were unhappy with the product (to help us to improve it)
-that you have uninstalled the software and won't use it in future.

We will then make the refund, usually on the same day."

As soon as they email me back to say that have uninstalled it and won't use it again I refund them, blacklist their key in future versions of the software, make a note of anything I could improve to stop further refunds and then forget about it.

This might cheer you up:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2010/11/21/problem-exists-between-keyboard-and-chair/
Andy Brice Send private email

This incident apart, my suggestion is to rewrite your software as web application avoid all deployments & installation troubles and cash recurring fees.
Franco Graziosi Send private email

@Andy I need to be more professional and calm.The product is a low volume sales one.So may be im worried about refunds.

Little bit insight..im in my early 20s and does not do anything fun during weekends ... i need to fix up my stuff and stay cool :) (No im NOT non social.. just this part of my life like 1 year ) .

I will be more professional in future.You learn from your mistakes.

> Never send an email in anger

I always struggle with that, but end up restraining myself at the last minute by using mild sarcasm instead.  It's just as satisfying.

My post from the other day is an example, where I replied to an abusive pirate simply with "We can't find your customer details, please supply them so we can help you further."
PSB136 Send private email

@PSB136

I have already read your post.In fact whenever i visit this site.. i take time to read your post.I have seen your post when you posted about making 0 sales and had been worried a lot.I have seen you improve and post many responses from customers here.

Glad that you could stand back up.Good luck.
Saturday, December 19, 2015

Thanks, anonmax.  :)
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, December 19, 2015

Asking someone to let you install something which allows you remote access to their computer is actually asking a lot.

It's a big leap of faith - and from a company whose software doesn't work...?

I'd probably say no too.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, December 23, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics