* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Bizspark graduation

Hi Chaps,

Not sure if this question is super-relevant to the forum, but I'm not sure where else to ask.

My Bizspark membership ran out recently and Microsoft gave me details of a UK supplier to contact for discounts on software, should I wish to keep using Visual Studio etc. Problem is, the supplier tells me that there are no discounts available on MSDN subscriptions or Visual Studio, and that they have double checked this with Microsoft. Also, because MS have moved to a subscription based model for Visual Studio, you can't carry on using what you already have.. (actually, what I already have seems to have been converted to a "three month trial" when I view the license details).

So I'm just wondering - does this sounds right? I have no idea who I would contact on the Microsoft end to verify this, but it seems to contradict the message I was getting during the Bizspark graduation process.

I also note now that the community edition of visual studio seems to offer everything I need (i.e. just about everything that professional has), and is - of course - free. As a company we would qualify to use it commercially (<5 users, < $1M revenue) so I may just give this a spin. It does require uninstalling what I have (pro) so I haven't tried it yet but will give it a go on a different PC shortly.
Anyone used the new community edition? It seems to be much less restricted than the old Express versions and may be all I need (I can live without MSDN, especially at full retail).
Anon123 Send private email
Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Hi,

I'm also a member of the BizSpark program. What version of VisualStudio are you using? The most recent version of VS I (currently) need is 2012 and as far as I understand their latest changes to the license model, I have a permant one even if the BizSpark membership is over.

Some months ago they sent a notification that new versions of VS can only be used with an online license "key" and you need to get a permanent key right now if you want to continue to use VS "offline".

However, would be nice if the Community Edition offers all what the Professional Edition has :)
xmlbuddy Send private email

I use the Professional (work), Enterprise (school), and Community (home) Editions of Visual Studio 2015.

I've seen know difference other than license reminders between Professional and Community.

You can see the comparisons here. https://www.visualstudio.com/products/compare-visual-studio-2015-products-vs

Looks like the main differences are no Code Lens or TFS in the Community Edition.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

know/no
TrippinOnIT Send private email

I use both 2015 Pro and 2015 Community Edition every day (different machines) and I haven't missed or needed any omitted features in the Community Edition. I think that most projects never require anything more than the Community Edition.
Gareth Hayter Send private email

+1 to Community Edition. No issues with it.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thanks guys - that's what I was hoping you'd say. I haven't used a free edition of VS since Express and that was limited in a few ways - but now the feature comparisons of "community" and pro look more or less identical. Also the fact that they limit which companies can use community (<5 users, <$1m revenue) does suggest that it is capable of serious work. I will install on a second laptop and give it a go with my project - so long as it can integrate with Xamarin & Resharper then I'm happy!

I am using VS2015 which is online key only, as far as I am aware - if there was a way to grab a permanent key I guess I missed that boat :(

I'm still not totally convinced that there shouldn't be a discount - the Bizspark pages seem to suggest that there is one - but if the community edition is sufficient then that will suffice.
Anon123 Send private email

Nice to hear that the Community Edition seems to be an option for the future.

AFAIR it was only possible to get a permanent key for VS 2012 and VS 2013. The latest 2015 always requires an online license.
xmlbuddy Send private email

No one has mentioned Action Pack.

Isn't it a cheaper and yet coming with enough of the new apps?
James Bezos Send private email
Saturday, December 19, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics