* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software submission tools

Some years ago submitting a new piece of software to a large number of software repositories seemed to be the way to go. Nowadays, apparently, not so much any more.

I know the opinions about this are divided on this forum. Just a quick question for those who still do software submissions.
Do you use automatic submission tools or do you submit manually and selectively?
In case you use automatic tools, could you share which ones you use and what experience you had with them?
Do you have any data/experience about recently submitted new software (not updates to existing ones) regarding impact/traffic generation etc.?

Otherwise, how would you, nowadays, make a new piece of free software known? Press releases, Adwords, forums, anything else?
hash Send private email
Monday, December 14, 2015

I submit manually to MajorGeeks, Softpedia, Softonic, and FileHippo.  Most other sites mirror and/or leech their data anyway.  MajorGeeks seems to be to most respected and successful for me, with a handful of sales a couple of days every time I update with them.
PSB136 Send private email

And I always wonder how do I actually submit/suggest my software on MajorGeeks?
xmlbuddy Send private email

Home page. left column about mid-way down the page, is an "About Us" link.  It opens a page with what they do, how they test, and how to submit by direct email to them.

Note that they're VERY picky (no offense intended) -- my most recent app submission was rejected as being unworthy and of no interest.  :(  So being listed once is no guarantee that they'll accept anything else you have to offer.  But once listed, they're great with publishing your updates and getting your product noticed.

robosoft is ok for submitions, it helped me alot.
Damjan Send private email

Thanks a lot PSB136 :)

I looked at various pages from MajorGeeks but didn't think that they put the explanation on their About Us page. But maybe this is also by intention...
xmlbuddy Send private email

I think it is by intention with MajorGeeks, which is why I didn't directly link to them here, and just gave you way to find it instead.  :)

Just email to majorgeeks editors to place your software.
Damjan Send private email

If it's free software, and it has a niche appeal, look for where that community hangs out. There will almost certainly be a sub reddit for them.

Read the rules of that sub reddit or community, and if there's nothing explicitly banning you from posting about your cool new app, post the link and ask what they think, and if they can suggest any new features.

Don't underestimate sub reddits these days. Interesting links that appear there get spread around very quickly - to other forums, on Facebook and Twitter, and on more regular news sites. The key is not pissing off the users, as it's their turf you're invading.
Marlee Ammon Send private email

I also have submitted to Major Geeks a month ago. They have not replied to me yet. How long do they usually take to answer a submission request?
barnacleboy Send private email
Tuesday, December 15, 2015

They usually answer quickly, within a few days.

The bad news is that they twice didn't reply to my latest submission at all, and when I pushed a bit harder, they said they'd "have to think about" my app.  That was two months or so now, so I guess that's their way of politely saying, "thanks, but no thanks."  :(

Although, maybe contact them again and enquire if they got your email?  They should respond to that.

I will try... ;) On the other hand: How many sales do you get from organic searches? Do the referrals from download sites really matter in your case? I'm on a couple of other big download sites and they do bring some traffic, but most is coming from Google.
barnacleboy Send private email

>manually and selectively

Manually and selectively. Most of the Windows download sites are automated garbage heaps now.
Andy Brice Send private email

> How many sales do you get from organic searches?

I have no idea.  :(

But download sites like MajorGeeks still have their place, IMO.  Here's my web stats for the last two weeks before I posted an app update to MajorGeeks, and the spike in visits after:

https://i.imgur.com/OWyxCf6.png

And two sales the day immediately after the posted update:

https://i.imgur.com/DSeomYC.png

So, without posting to MG, sales would probably still be zero.
Friday, December 18, 2015

Thank you all for your replies.  It is encouraging to read that some of the download repositories still seem to be useful.
hash Send private email
Sunday, January 10, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics