* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Which Linux distubution do you think is best choice for dev?

Hi All
I am planing on buy a new PC and give Linux desktop a try
I want have my developement work done on linux , mainly Adnroid and QT, and I am also considering release some software for linux desktop.
Now I installed Centos 6 in a virtualbox but I want hear suggetions from you guys as well.

BTW, I have 12 + experience on developement both for linux and windwos
GerryLu Send private email
Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Hmm... well, if you don't want to have to mess with configuration too much, you could always use Ubuntu.  I, for one, like my dev machine to 'just work' most of the time. 

Personally, I'm running Ubuntu on my dev machine (a Dell latitude laptop), while I run FreeBSD on my servers.
James A. Send private email
Wednesday, November 25, 2015
I run Debian although I cannot think of any special reason why you should prefer it to any other distribution for dev; it has just worked for me.

I have used Ubuntu too - it's based on Debian so almost all of the help is identical. I just continued my dev work on there with no changes.
koan Send private email
Thursday, November 26, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics