* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Independent Contractors

Hi everyone,

I've been doing java development for the last 10 years and have been working as an independent contractor for the last 15. About a month ago I moved to the states with the intention of doing exactly the same here.

As it turns out creating a CV / Profile so it gets hits on dice.com and linkedin.com is quite the challenge. Well ok, that's always been somewhat of a challenge to me but in the U.S. even more so.

I'm absolutely willing to pay a professional resume writer to do my resume and my linkedin profile, but the problem now is which of the many out there to choose. Does anybody here have a tip for me on how to find the right one?

Or maybe any links to other forums?

Guenther
Guenther Schmidt Send private email
Monday, November 23, 2015

How about upwork.com?
GerryLu Send private email
Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Not sure about US, but in Canada (which is a bit of a village in comparison) most Java contracting is done via recruiting agencies.

Check out the jobs on the Monster -- if they are coming from a limited number of large recruiting agencies, your local situation could be the same. Then submit your resumes to those agencies in addition to Monster.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to email me - I'm a Java contractor in Canada for effing 13 years.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Sunday, November 29, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics