* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How do you deal with a competitor eating your lunch?

Hey guys,

A few years ago I released a product that did pretty well, and I let it coast. One of the major competitors seemed more interested in being enterprisey and I was happy to let them be.

Now, these guys have started moving into the lower end (my bit) for free. And I have to say, they do an excellent job marketing and design. It was only a matter of time but I didn't know how well they'd execute. They just seem to be getting better. I don't think I can compete at the higher end. They are becoming one of those "oh yeah, buy that thing and move on" brands. I envy their execution.

Just for reference, this product had its roots in a 40 year old company and I think they may have spun it off when things began to take off.

I'm considering packing it in.

What do you think? Have you ever packed it in?
Bring back anon Send private email
Thursday, November 12, 2015

It seems to me your options are:
1. shut it down - if you are still making worthwhile sales, I wouldn't do this
2. coast - extract the maximum value from your current product while doing the minimum work
3. compete - if you can't compete with them head-on, perhaps you can still out compete them in a particular niche
4. sell - to your competitor or someone else, your list of existing customers might be quite valuable
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, November 13, 2015

True, those are the options. I'm not so concerned with choosing one of them, but more looking to see if someone has any experience that they can share.

Btw, I noticed when I logged on from home that I couldn't see my post. Guessing I'm shadowbanned for some reason? Otherwise I'd expect Scott to be all over this one.

What you describe is just the normal competitive world. They are competing with you.

You can respond by doing new things and approaches and tactics. Or pack it in. Or coast. Whatever you like. As was said, that's good advice there.

I do expect that you will learn from observing your competitor. This is the evolutionary advantage of free market competition.
Scott Send private email

>Btw, I noticed when I logged on from home that I couldn't see my post. Guessing I'm shadowbanned for some reason?

Your post was held for approval of a moderator before it was shown. This was triggered automatically. It happens from time to time. I am not party to the algorithm that decides which posts are held for approval.
Andy Brice Send private email

I had known they were going to enter the space for some time and had my niche planned out. I guess it's time to execute on that.

I'll report back in a few months.

How are you doing Scott? Still kicking ass and taking names, I presume!

I am old and tired. Take advantage of your youth my son. Make hay while the sun shines.
Scott Send private email

Aw man. You're my hero.
Saturday, November 14, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics