* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

FastSpring collects personal info for PayPal purchases

Hi all.  I recently switched to FastSpring to process my sales because of the 4 fraudulent PayPal purchases I had, but one thing concerns me: FastSpring lets users buy with PayPal, but requires the user to enter their name, address, etc into FastSpring before they can get into PayPal to finalise the sale.

FastSpring's knowledge base says this forms part of their anti-fraud procedure, but I'm worried it'll stop legit PayPal buyers who may not want to give their personal info to "some random company" when buying.  Indeed myself, if I buy with PayPal, I wouldn't give my personal info to another company first -- I expect just to log into PayPal and pay.

I'm starting to wonder if I made a bad decision.
PSB136 Send private email
Monday, November 09, 2015

I think you are over thinking this. One of the advantages of FastSpring collecting this information is that you can use the customer reports you can generate on FastSpring to market new products and upgrades. Fastspring would also need this information to process refunds etc. It's not that unusual to have to sign up before using Paypal. This is standard practice on virtually all eCommerce sites.
Andrew Gibson Send private email

When you use a credit card it's common practice to enter your address for anti fraud purposes. I don't see why asking the same for PayPal is any more onerous. What kind of customers need to buy your software anonymously ?
koan Send private email

You are definitely over thinking things. I have had Paypal transactions stopped by FastSpring because they failed their anti-fraud mesaures - I'd much rather FS dealt with all of that than me. That's what you are paying FS for and, in general, I'd say they provide a very good service. Not to mention other value-adds like VAT collection etc, which would be pretty hard to organise on your own (do Paypal do it? just curious).
Anon123 Send private email

I don't think you can necessarily have it both ways. You can't avoid fraudulent purchases and avoid the steps that help to mitigate them.

You are very concerned about people using your software without purchasing it. Its a process you'd very much like to keep in your control. But you're also very concerned of perception of collecting info, key systems that phone home or require the internet, key sharing, etc...

At some point you have to strike a balance with managing the business side of software, security, and your sanity.

Is the number of potential lost customers because they can't attempt to purchase anonymously worth the dealing again with what appeared to be fraudulent purchases? How many of the anonymous purchasers attempt the fraudulent purchases?

Set yourself up as professional and reputable. Don't worry about catering to those who are to paranoid to be to go through a standard purchasing process unless they are your primary target market.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

There's nothing anonymous about buying with PayPal, because you still get the customer's details from PayPal.  But to supply the same personal details to another company first, before getting to PayPal, seems strange and alien to me (and others I've asked).

People on eBay, for example, just select to buy something with PayPal and they're done, with no "middle-man" company asking for their info first.  It's the PayPal way/experience.  This extra step seems strange, although I can appreciate why they're doing it.  I'm just worried it's turning people off.  I certainly wouldn't buy with PayPal if I had to give my personal details to another company first, as it's not the norm.

When you start getting emails from irate prospects saying they refused to buy because of the invasion data collection (which PayPal already holds anyway), then give this issue some focus.

Until then you can help alleviate the concerns by employing basic marketing strategies on the sales page:
- If Fastspring use specific security technology (e.g. 128 bit encryption), state that.
- State that your payment processor is trusted by 'X' business around the world (social credibility)

Fastspring use this technique themselves by leveraging the credibility of their own clients:
http://www.fastspring.com/clients

Their own website states that "All FastSpring stores are PCI compliant, and adhere to PCI DSS regulations".

Use this information on your sales page to reassure your customers.

All the best -
Marcus from London Send private email
Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Interesting. We also use FastSpring, and the only fields I see on the order form are Quantity, VAT ID (for EU countries only), Coupon and Payment Method. If I choose PayPal and click Next , I immediately get to the PayPal login page.

Or will FastSpring ask for that information after I make a payment with PayPal?

On-topic: We have a FastSpring badge and disclaimer on the order form. So far no complaints. We mostly sell to businesses though, so not many of our customers use PayPal.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Wednesday, November 11, 2015

> If I choose PayPal and click Next , I immediately get to the PayPal login page

My experience differs.  Here's what I get if I do that:

https://i.imgur.com/9nyO2MF.png

That's a lot of personal info that a PayPal buyer wouldn't be expecting.  :(

Just noticed that some of that is doubled-up by FastSpring, too.  Maybe there's a bug in their order form?  I'll email them that image and see.

You can get FastSpring to remove the phone number request from all their forms - I did years ago and haven't had trouble with fraud.
DV Send private email
Thursday, November 12, 2015

As a FYI, Overstock.com insists on full billing address before letting you use Paypal.

(as well as delivery address, obviously)

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Another thing to think about is if you're using FastSpring as the payment provider then FastSpring is whom customer are purchasing from on your behalf. They are not purchasing from PayPal anymore. As such FastSpring must collect any data they need provide payment services as per PayPal's privacy agreement any user information obtained from Paypal may only be used for providing transactions with PayPal services. So to be legal with PayPal FastSpring could not share that information obtained with you. (The transactions are between FastSpring and PayPal. Not FastSpring on your behalf and PayPal.) For this reason FastSpring is collecting their own info.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full#How_We_Share_Personal_Information_with_Other_PayPal_Users

PayPal becomes just another payment option type. Cash, Credit, Debit, PayPal. Funny because I am starting to see these very payment options in brick and mortar stores.

As a consumer, and my observations of others, are for the most part PayPal is just a payment option. Each payment entity I chose may have to collect their own information. If I don't want to have to do that every time I use Paypal then I create a paypal account.

Your concern should really be focused how is FastSpring as a payment processor for you and do they accept the forms of payments you need them too. You're no longer processing through paypal so you're outside of that transaction.

PayPal is just one of a few payment options. After a few purchases through them you may even discover it's not even the most used.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

Had FastSpring as the only payment option for almost two weeks now, with zero sales, which I think is due to that requirement for personal info.  So I switched back to PayPal yesterday and suddenly had 3 sales within the last 24 hours.  Hmm.
Thursday, November 19, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics