* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Upfront about price?

I have a strange dilemma. Currently my webpage does not emphasize that my product is paid. I think only fools give away their work for free, I always assume that software costs money in some way or other. But many people do not.

There is a clearly visible GUARANTEE and REGISTER menu on every page, that should give it away but apparently it's not enough. I often get annoyed feedbacks like "I tought it was free, I feel cheated" or "why do you hide that this is a paid product?". Today someone posted that they think people would be more likely to pay if they knew it was paid before they downloaded it. Well, if that's true, I should do it... But I highly doubt it, but what's your opinion?

The only thing I could do is put a huge BUY button right next to my huge DOWNLOAD button. It's already obvious, but people are skimming over everything.
Zka Send private email
Thursday, November 05, 2015

The term REGISTER may imply money transfer in your mind, but this is not an automatic association for non-developers. Change your menu option to PURCHASE and then it is obvious to everyone.  If you are reluctant to use the word purchase then you need to re-examine your intentions.
fisher Send private email

They are correct that people would be more likely to buy if they know it's a premium, paid product.

Suddenly finding out, after they thought it was free, would be off-putting, yes.

Instead of "download" try "Download Free Trail" or something more obvious.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

'register' is an archaic shareware term that few people understand. 'buy' is much clearer. You can also include the price on your home page.
Andy Brice Send private email

Show it is paid, and be very up front about the price.  If I can't find a price, I assume it must be high and I'll get gouched(?) so I look elsewhere.
Doug Send private email

For what it's worth, I like it when it was clear from the home page whether the software was free or paid. Too often I felt like I had to root for the price.
Racky Send private email
Friday, November 06, 2015

The price for my product is clearly displayed on every page of my website.

In large letters.

I still get people asking me how much it costs.
TomTomAgain Send private email

OK I went fully unambigous.

Register texts changed to purchase. Download changed to Download free trial, added a BUY button with price tag right next to the download button. Noone can complain now. I'll see how it changes revenue. Conversion rate will surely rise due to less downloads from people who are not willing to pay.
Zka Send private email

The "Pricing/Buy"-page is the second most visited page on my website right after the home page. So people certainly do care about that.
By being upfront about this, you avoid questions from people who are not interested in paid software. Time saved.
PhilS Send private email

I agree with your customers/victims and find it fascinating that you pretend to not understand their objections. What fisher says is certainly correct.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with charging money for your work.

Being so ashamed of charging that one resorts to misleading trickery is a sad state of affairs.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, November 08, 2015

"Conversion rate will surely rise due to less downloads from people who are not willing to pay."

The downloads to sales conversion rate yes, not the visitors to sales rate.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, November 09, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics