* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Bundling - how to offer

I'm about to release my second software and it's going to be very similar to the first one. I don't want to disclose it, therefore let's say my first program helps vinyl collectors and the second one helps CD collectors. I want to bundle them.

Offering a bundle on the registration page is a no-brainer, but what else shall I do? Is a small non-intrusive ad in both softwares pointing to the other software acceptable?

How do you present your bundle offers?
Zka Send private email
Sunday, October 18, 2015
In my case, all the "Buy Now" links for my 3 products all go to the same "Order" page, so the user gets to see the bundle offer before clicking any individual app purchase links -- you don't want them to buy a single app and see the bundle offer later.

Here's what the top of my "Order" page looks like:

Seems to be working so far, because since bundling I've had 8 bundle sales and only 1 standalone sale.  But as pointed out to me here, that's not enough to declare bundling a success.
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, October 18, 2015
Haha I like the piggybank icon :D
Zka Send private email
Sunday, October 18, 2015
You gotta emphasis the savings.  ;)
Sunday, October 18, 2015
I've only recently subscribe to Avangate. They have built in functionality to offer upgrades.

So for any product you have, you can select which upgrade offer you'd like to have presented on the sales page. You can also include a product image and description with the upgrade offer.

I'd suspect other online payment processors offer similar functionality.
Marcus from London Send private email
Monday, October 19, 2015
Be aware that several of my bundle payments have been disputed with PayPal now, so I've changed my stance and would advise against it.  Seems that people are using it to get license codes for all my apps at once and then refunded.  I've removed it from my Order page as I can't deal with this.
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
I've switched to FastSpring to test how it goes, and they have an automatic bundling feature that you can enable.  Basically, when a customer clicks the buy link for one app, it offers the others at a discounted rate with an "Add to order" button.  Makes it easy.
Wednesday, November 04, 2015
Yep, Fastspring are pretty good.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, November 04, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics