* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Windows 10

What's your feeling about win 10? Is it good or not?
liily Send private email
Monday, October 12, 2015

Built-in spyware is the first thing that comes to mind.

Urgh.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, October 13, 2015

i have lots of problems with it, delay installing if you can.
Zka Send private email

In the preview program since day one. Installed Win 10 on Macbook Pro (under Parallels), Surface 3 Pro and Alienware X51 (upgraded from Win 8.1).

Usual problems as with any other OS but nothing major. Would recommend it to anyone.
maxlmus Send private email

<rant>
I can't tell you how much I hate Windows 8 and 8.1 and the crappy start menu.  So Windows 10, though still not as good as 7, is still a step up from the Windows 8 abomination.
</rant>

I've got it running on a laptop and everything is smooth sailing.  You can turn off a lot (all?) of the spying/data collection.
Doug Send private email
Friday, October 16, 2015

It hasn't been as stable as I'd like, about once a week I get a complete freeze.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email
Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I can't stand all the big text and buttons -- it's almost like a Commodore 64's display.  :(

Windows PCs went from initial big low-res displays to true HD high-res displays capable of displaying tonnes of information with beautiful Aero glass transparency and graphics, but now we're back to the 1980s basics of big fonts and apps taking up all the screen real estate with flat, dull Windows 3.1 graphics.

Regression on a major scale.
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I turned most of that stuff off and use it pretty much as I have every version of Windows since NT.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email
Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I haven't had any problems with Windows 10.  I'm glad the start menu is back, however it could still be better.
Phlamajam Send private email
Monday, November 02, 2015

It has all been downhill since Windows 2000 :)

I run linux on my dev workstation (well, laptop).  I thought about using Windows 10 as my primary OS (running linux as needed in VMs), but after trying it out on my wife's machine.... no.
James A. Send private email
Wednesday, November 04, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics