* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

PayPal refunds up to 180 days later!

Just did a test payment to myself and the receipt from PayPal says I have 180 days (half a year!) to dispute it and get a refund.  What. The. Freaking. Hell!

So, my current process of giving buyers an interim code is out the window, because they can't be expected to hold onto that for half a year before getting their real personalised code.

This sucks.  I think I'll just have to give everyone the same serial code, and hope they don't share it or post it on warez boards, etc.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, October 08, 2015

Even if I switch to FastSpring, they accept PayPal payments too, which leads to the same problem.  Why the hell should a customer be able to get a refund half a year later?!

Last time I checked, PP doesn't even offer customer protection for software products.
Zka Send private email

> and hope they don't share it or post it on warez boards, etc.

Seriously?  It will get posted sooner or later.
Doug Send private email

I know, Doug.  :)

Does that cover software, because it didn't when they were part of Ebay?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, October 12, 2015

Don't know, but I decided not to panic about it.  It'd have to be a total nutcase to request a refund after more than a couple of months.  Then again, maybe some of you have had that?  LOL.
Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My refund rate is around 1.5% and the latest was some 2 months later... It's advertised as 14 days guarantee but she was really pissed. I would not go into details but she was really computer illiterate, so I decided to refund instead of going into battles. Most refund requests arrive in a few days. If it really doesn't work for them, they'll find out quickly.
Zka Send private email

Latest I've ever had for a software product was 2 weeks.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics