* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Windowless app and screenshots

I've submitted my latest app to a download site called Soft32 but as it's a windowless app (a tool that runs in the background), they keep insisting I do the impossible and supply a screenshot of it.

I tried sending a 100x100 logo of it, and an image stating that it was a windowless app, but they didn't accept either.  They emailed me today and said: "If you still insist in introducing the same product with the same issues we will blacklist your producer domain in our system."

So... what do you recommend I do for a screenshot?  The app has no window.  How do you screenshot a background tool?
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

The installer has a GUI, right?
Marcus from London Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

And it should have an entry in the task manager.
Marcus from London Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

Add at least one feature that requires a Gui interface. This may help market the app to the end users.
maxr Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

The screenshot has to be 650x350 minimum, and I don't think a task manager or installer shot would make them happy, and I don't want to risk p*ssing them off and losing my chances of ever being listed there.  I'm almost inclined to just forget it with these ridiculous demands.

However, I think maxr has a good point.  I'll add a messagebox with a short tutorial message that is shown on first run, and if it's too small, I'll resize it to 650x350 before submitting.

Thanks for the comments, guys.  :)
Friday, October 02, 2015

It is fascinating that someone would put any effort whatsoever into download site submission in 2015. Was not the consensus here that those sites are pretty much useless for software publishers?
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

Some sites still work... MajorGeeks published an update to one of my apps a few days ago and I got 2 sales a day after that, so MG seems to work.

What else do you suggest, then, to get products noticed?
Friday, October 02, 2015

I think of download sites as shopping malls.  People browse through and may or may not see your shop, and may or may not buy.  But if you're not in the shopping mall at all, then how will they ever know that you're selling?
Friday, October 02, 2015

Those shopping malls were pretty busy 10 years ago .They are mostly ghost towns now.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

So, I came to the software game too late?  :(
Friday, October 02, 2015

Is there any specific reason to care about download sites? You should just ignore this and stay unlisted there.
Zka Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

No PSB you're not late, it's just the sales channels have changed. Now you sell through SEO and social media I guess. SEO is the easier one.
Zka Send private email
Friday, October 02, 2015

+1 Zka.

Our product is B2B, which may partially explain my failure to make social work for it.

Organic SEO works quite well, but it takes time and effort, just like growing organic food. Once grown, it begins to supports itself though - I see new links to my content popping up here and there on a regular basis.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Saturday, October 03, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics