* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Funny trial misinterpretation

Not much chatter going on in here these days, so here's a funny story for you: my paid apps are advertised as "14 non-consecutive days trial", where they used to be feature-limited instead.  Anyway, one of the customers I emailed recently to let them know of a new app, responded today and said they weren't interested in trying the new app because they wouldn't be able to trial it on consecutive days!

I'm currently in the process of letting the downloads sites know to change it to just "14 days trial" instead.

PSB136 Send private email
Friday, September 25, 2015
That is kind of funny.  I understood what 14 non consecutive days meant, but I can see how that wording would confuse people.

You might try something like "Free trial period: 14 days of use." And if you have a place for details, explain in there that only days were they actually use the software are counted.
Emily Jones Send private email
Saturday, September 26, 2015
Oh those people who don't purchase because there is an UGLY watermark on the output files. Yes, it happens few times a year. They just seem to be completely oblivious to the concept of trial, despite my pushy nag screens telling about how to get rid of the watermarks.
Zka Send private email
Sunday, September 27, 2015
This is why so many coders hire 'talentless spammers' to take care of the minor stuff, like selling.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, September 28, 2015
Actually a trial that only worked on every other day could be quite good - or perhaps it could be indefinite, but only work on Wednesdays after the first week has elapsed? (after phoning home to get the real date, of course).
Imagine the support requests!
Anon123 Send private email
Wednesday, September 30, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics