* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Email leads question

I've had some emails lately asking about my freeware app ("does it work with Win 10" etc), and I was wondering if it's poor form to answer their query but then talk to them about my paid apps, since I now have their email address?

Perhaps something non-car-salesman such as: "BTW, our other apps are currently on sale if you're interested: <link1> <link2>" ?

Not kosher?
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Entirely kosher :)

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

You'd be crazy not to.
Andy Brice Send private email

You're in *business* aren't you?
Marcus from London Send private email
Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Just worried about being accused of spamming, and in some places it's illegal to try to sell a product by email.  I'm assuming that since the person contacted me, that it should be okay to mention my other paid apps in return... but not entirely sure if it's worth the risk.

You could just place links to your other products in your email signature. No one is likely to complain about that.
Andrew Gibson Send private email

Good thinking, Andrew!  :)

It's perfectly ok to mention and advertise your other products in the email answering their question.
But you should be careful with sending them other, additional emails unrelated to their original question.
PhilS Send private email
Saturday, September 19, 2015

+1 on everyone else - you'd be a foll not to!

++1 to what PhilS said - you're having a one on one conversation with someone.  It's not SPAM or Illegal to mention your other products in the individual email.

What I would do, is take this opportunity to get them to opt into an email list where you have their permission to send them occasional emails - helpful tips for using your software, industry news that may appeal to them, etc. And the occasional offer to purchase something from you.

See my other post to you in your other thread for links to marketing experts who will describe this process to you for free if you'll get on their email list.
Emily Jones Send private email
Monday, September 21, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics