* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software to help track development team metrics

I wonder if anyone knows of a software that can help track team metrics?

I would like to see historical trends in things like total bug count, average time from bug opening to fixing, code coverage, etc.

Basically an open system that can plug into existing bug tracking, continuous integration, etc systems, pull data and visualise it nicely.

Does anything like that exist? If not I'll probably consider creating one. :-)

Thanks.
B2B Send private email
Thursday, September 03, 2015

I think you will have to write your own solution to collect data because every organization has specific needs and environments and thus different applicable measures. Just do not expect to sell it: this is probably a typical application in the shadow zone (1K-30K).
Franco Graziosi Send private email
Saturday, September 05, 2015

What's the meaning of "shadow zone"?
Bring back anon Send private email
Monday, September 07, 2015

The shadow zone is an unfeasible price range: under $ 1000  consumers and possibly some small business can pull their card and directly buy/subscribe the product. Over that price you a sales guy that will cost at least 1 K per opportunity but usually much more. Considering a 10% win rate that will account **alone** for $ 5K. Add marketing and support cost and hardly you can sell a product for less than 20 K. Unless you sell some kind of expensive consulting to the client (for example which metrics to use and how to analyze them). In this case you can even give the product for free.
Franco Graziosi Send private email
Friday, September 11, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics