* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Win10/Bing related losses?

My sales have been down to half or less than normal since early august (7th or so). This is either my longest streak of bad luck or there is a reason. But I see no reason at first glance. Google rankings are not changed, no new free and good competitor, no crack released, etc etc.

The only thing I can blame is Win10-Edge-Bing. Probably the early adapters buy most of my software and they have shifted to Bing with the W10 upgrade. My Bing rankings are not so favorable as my google ones. My webstats seem to support this theory.

What should I do now? Should I SEO for Bing or just hope it's a long streak of bad luck and wait more?
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, August 18, 2015

OK, looking at the webstats from the perspective of Edge share (and knowing that Edge has a ~1% market share right now) there must be something else.
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, August 18, 2015

You can estimate how likely the sales drop is to be a statistical blip:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2014/05/11/why-have-my-sales-dropped/
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I'm getting about 2% which means that is most probably not just a random blip. And I have no clue what it is.
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Will get more clarity if you tell what software you are selling and website.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Wednesday, August 19, 2015

How many years have you been selling this software and what does August normally look like?

I've only been in the game 3 years, but I already have a clear pattern for August: about half the sales of the neighbouring July or September.

It's northern hemisphere holiday season and not as much gets done, including buying software.
Anon123 Send private email

this is my 3rd august and it will be the worst. most other months this year were better than last year, by up to 30%.
I've found out that geoplugin.net sometimes blacklists my webserver which can explain some of the losses. Currently sales are getting a bit better, maybe it was a long bad streak.
Zoltan Peter Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics