* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Am I a grumpy old man?

Just got a Samsung S6, without doing any research on it - big mistake!

With 4 different friends telling it how awesome it is, and my last 3 phones being Samsung, I figured it must be pretty good, right?

I hate it. Utterly hate it.

No menu button? What dribbling moron did that?

No replaceable battery, making it a disposable phone that will be useless after a year or less.

No SD card slot?

No matter how many times I tell it to turn location services OFF, the damn thing keeps telling me it's searching for GPS - and murdering the battery in the process.

This is my 4th, and final, Samsung.

Every time I get a new one I find they've changed things and for the worse. Am I a grumpy old goat or do they actually sit around in a committee, figuring out how to make the things worse than before?

On topic, ish, seems no new phone has a menu button, just some retarded list of "recent applications", because you know, putting often used apps on the homescreen is too difficult, and suppose you forgot what apps you'd recently used? The horror.

And who needs to access the menu for all their fav' apps anyway? That is to say, pretty much all of the apps, because many developers have not added on-screen menu buttons. Why would they, when phones used to come with a dedicated menu buton?

Any "app" designers here has issues with this menu button thing?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, August 15, 2015
> do they actually sit around in a committee, figuring out how to make the things worse than before?

As Richard McBeef said in another post: if it ain't broke, break it. Seems apt as to what Samsung have done.

I'm very surprised by the lack of SD slot and removable battery.  That was something Android users always used to troll Apple users.  That edge is gone now?  Seems like a bad idea.
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, August 16, 2015
It's not all bad with the S6. I got one recently as well to replace my old S4. The main problem is that Samsung put their own Touchwhiz interface on top of Android. It will eventually be possible to install the Cyanogen mod on the S6 which basically gives you a native android experience without Touchwhiz. The S6 charges much faster than previous Samsung phones. Also lack of SD isn't too much of an issue when you have 64GB built in. The device itself has 8 gig of ram.

I also quite like the finger print scanner and wireless charging is a nice bonus as well. It also allow you to proximity unlock with a trusted paired Bluetooth device.  What I like best about it is the quad hd screen. This makes it ideal for virtual reality with Google Cardboard.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Sunday, August 16, 2015
Yeah... but the 64 GB version is stupidly more expensive - and not available here from Malaysian carriers.

I've just got back from a hiking holiday in Germany, and while there found my Note 2 soon began complaining it was running out of space.

Popping into a shop and grabbing another 16 GB card for less than a cup of coffee was easy. Now that is not an option - I'm stuck with what's left after the OS on 32 GB (which is about 24 GB)

With its 16 MP camera I'd have run out of space just as quickly, especially if using video. Meaning halfway through my holiday I'd have to start deleting my holiday photos and vids, or trying to upload gigabytes to Dropbox or somesuch. If you're familiar with hiking and hotel wifi you'll know that's not entirely practical...

Every Samsung and HTC phone I've had, I've ended up replacing the battery with a Mugen Power version, once the original won't hold a good charge. Now I'm supposed to just throw away the phone? That right there would have stopped me from buying if I'd realized.

One problem with a computer in a phone, was that if you dropped it then it might land on the front, and break the glass. So now, to make SURE you break the glass, they've put glass on the BACK of the thing!

You can even get a version now that has glass on the side edges too, just in case you don't hit the other glass...? Seriously, the screen curves around the edges, to make certain you'll hit it

*tears of laughter*

It was very much a rushed decision, and I should know better. My wife lost her SIM card after changing to a German one for the holiday, so while in the shop I mentioned how I was hankering after an S6, as everyone kept telling me they were awesome and waterproof, with a great camera etc.

I bought it without too many questions because I trusted Samsung, and spent far too long trying to figure out how to get the menu key working.

I will never trust Samsung again.

Monday, August 17, 2015
PS: first I've heard of Cardboard.

The site doesn't make it clear how it's better than just holding the phone in front of your face..?

Monday, August 17, 2015
The market seems to agree with you:

Either they (Samsung) learn from this or become irrelevant.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, August 17, 2015
+1 Dimitry

At one time Nokia were the king, not to mention the lofty position of Blackberry.

HTC were riding high too, until they mass-produced cheap and often defective phones (I still haven't forgiven them for the useless GPS in my Incredible S...) Now they hold less than 4% of the market.

I must admit I stupidly bought this Samsung without asking many questions because I trusted the brand.

Never again.

My next phone will NOT be a Samsung. I don't care what they come out with, they have lost me as a customer.

Monday, August 17, 2015
These companies hire Harvard and Yale trained MBAs who come in and insist that they need to drive costs to zero by producing overpriced crapware products assembled by child slave labor exposed to carcinogens in a suicide inducent environment. Then their sales plummet when customers see how bad things have gotten. Then they start lobbying for protectionist policies.

SD cards are absolutely essential. If they are not for Bob or Sue, that's because Bob and Sue do boring irrelevant things and has nothing to do with those of us who need SD cards.

I don't like the lack of replaceable batteries because these companies have declared war on the environment by doing so, while running commercials trumpeting their latest donation to Greenpeace.
Scott Send private email
Monday, August 17, 2015
It's rare for me but... +1 Scott

Tiny little MicroSD cards that can hold gigabytes is one of the wonders of our age. To then say we can't use them... gah!

And yeah, fixed batteries are terrible for the environment, rendering the entire phone "disposable".

Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Probably not going to help much with your buyers remorse, however:

Samsung will replace the battery for you under warranty or it's circa $45:

You can plug a memory stick into the phone and copy your photos:

Andrew Gibson Send private email
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Despite being a developer by trade, I'm not a phone "power user" at all. I dumped iOS after iPhone 3 (which was definitely ahead of its time).
I have a Sony Z3 compact now which is great - really good battery life, waterproof, SD card and Sony's additions aren't *too* annoying (but still a bit annoying).
Anon123 Send private email
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Well it's good to hear that Samsung can replace the non-replaceable battery...  at twice the price of simply buying one.

However accessories such as cases and spare batteries are rarely on the market for long. By the time the built-in battery is no longer holding a charge it's unlikely anyone, including Samsung, will sell a replacement for this model.

One good stand-by has always been Mugen Power, which I've used since an old Nokia. Their replacement batteries are pricey but usually superior to the originals and they keep making them long after the original manufacture has quit.. Do Mugen even make a replacement for the S6?

Let's look..  Nope, only for the S5 varients and earlier. I can't blame them, as the replacement procedure is not realistic for home users.

And will the price stay at $45 in a year or two, when you need a replacement? Having now lost all faith in Samsung my answer to that question is "probably not".

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics