* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Glossy or matte display for travel laptop

What is your opinion for the best display for coding and reading text - display or matte?

I have both and I find glossy is much easier to clean without leaving marks even with a damp micro fibre cloth.

I may soon by buying a new travel laptop and can't decide between a matte, anti-glare screen or glossy.
NewToASPX Send private email
Saturday, August 15, 2015
I recall being stuck in LAX because of a flight delayed at the last minute due to a thunderstorm in SF. It was sunny outside and the only vacant seats in the waiting area were lit, plus I was wearing a white T-shirt. It was so absolutely, totally impossible to use the company's laptop that I'd sworn to never ever buy one with a glossy display. YMMV.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, August 17, 2015
Glossy reflects a lot of ambient light, so in outdoor situations it can be very hard to read unless it has an incredibly strong backlight. It seems a lot of machines don't even have the matte option any more though so you may not even have a choice.

For indoor work with no lights in the reflection path, glossy seems to have brighter and more vibrant colors.
Scott Send private email
Monday, August 17, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics