* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Link building

Hi,

I've read excellent guest post in Successful Software "A Few Good Links – Why you need them and how to get them":
http://successfulsoftware.net/2015/07/30/a-few-good-links-why-you-need-them-and-how-to-get-them/

I have only one question regarding chapter "Drafting the Perfect Outreach Email".

Where to publish my articles? To get backlinks in future.

If I publish my article on a website of my software product, it looks obvious that this article is commercial. I double that people will share links to this article. Probably it works with certain niches, but not for commercial software programs.

Probably it's better to run a separate website with articles?

A quote from the article mentioned above:

"Lastly, you (just) need to send the actual outreach email. If you’re cold emailing someone, it is best to not ask for favours/links right in the first email. What I recommend instead is to ask for their expert’s opinion on an article you have written. Everyone likes to be seen as an expert and to be asked for their opinion – as long as the topic interests them. Five out of ten times they will – at least – share your article. At this point you’ll be off to a good start: You’ve already got some value (social media mention!) and started to built a relationship that might end in a link for you."
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Monday, August 03, 2015

>Where to publish my articles?

In the same place your successful competitors publish theirs? This is mentioned in the article.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, August 05, 2015

I publish my articles on the main company Web site. After the initial seeding, they've accumulated dozens of incoming links organically over the years.

If your articles are unbiased, educational, and useful not only for your target audience, I encourage you do the same. Organic incoming links to your own original content are too valuable to let them point to third-party domains.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email

Andy,

Honestly, I checked only my main competitor from the USA. He publishes articles in his blog on a separate website. However I didn't find any external links to his blog. The articles look are specific for his product and pretty much of SEO than for people.

Dmitry,

Thanks for your experience! It looks inspiring. Probably it better than pay constantly to Google.
Igor Kokarev Send private email

If you publish good quality content on your website and put a little bit of effort into on-page SEO it should attract some inbound links and traffic. However it can take quite a while to show results and (in my experience) is a bit hit and miss.

>Probably it better than pay constantly to Google.

Its not either/or. If you are getting a positive ROI on AdWords, then I would keep doing it.
Andy Brice Send private email

Your mileage will vary, but here is our conversion data for the last 30 days:

Article referral: 5.64%
AdWords: 1.74%

(Note: this is visit-to-download, we have no way to track download-to-purchase reliably.)
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Thursday, August 06, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics