* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Windows 10?

So what are your thoughts on Windows 10? I've found it to be the most painless Windows upgrade experience I've had. So far I actually really like what they've done with it.  Microsoft have made it free if you have a licensed version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

Just wondered what others thought.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Thursday, July 30, 2015
I've read nothing but great reviews and how Mac users are now regretting ditching Windows -- apparently it's the bees knees and does everything that Mac users left Windows for.  I may install it this weekend to see for myself.
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2015
I upgraded my win 8.1 laptop to 10 for free yesterday and love it, best version of Windows yet IMHO! Will be upgrading my other machines over the coming weeks.

Microsoft are doing some very cool things lately, Open sourcing code, free win 10 upgrades, universal apps, Hololense! Edge browser.

The app store still kinda sucks though ;)
maxr Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2015
Yes, the Edge Browser does seem really fast  compared to Chrome. It will be interesting to see what impact this has on web traffic, as it uses Bing search by default and the SERPS on Bing are radically different from Google.

I guess it's time to update all of screenshots in my user guide to Windows 10!
Friday, July 31, 2015
The reports I have heard can be summarised as "promising but buggy". I wouldn't consider installing it on a workhorse computer until it has been out for at least a few months.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2015
>  how Mac users are now regretting ditching Windows

I don't know that much about all this anymore, but somehow I really doubt that, at least in many cases.

I glanced at some Windows 10 reviews and so far don't want to go further than Win7...I just personally am turned off by the look and added/unnecessary complexity that >7 has brought. (I'm one of the people who still hates the Office ribbon, though).
Racky Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2015
So I installed Windows 10 and I'm not very impressed.  :(

My desktop and app fonts are blurry, like ClearType is broken or something, but even if I turn that off, it looks crap.  Not crystal-clear like Windows 7 Aero.  Yes, I tried updating the video drivers to match the ones used with 7 and they were the same.

Everything is so flat and boring, like Windows 3.1 again.  Why?  Aero is beautiful.

Apps have B-I-G text!  Even the Windows Calculator looks like it's made for touchscreens, despite me using desktop mode.  It's literally huge!  Its height is half my desktop, which is set to 1280x1024 resolution.  Oh, and even just starting it takes about 3 seconds for it open.  Why the delay, Microsoft?

The new Edge browser is kind of fast, but not anything better than Firefox on Windows 7 that I had.  And you can't block ads in Edge (unless you modify your "hosts" file), so there's no point using it.

Windows 10 installs as an admin by default!  I thought they removed that because it was a security issue in the past?  So I tried to add a Limited user but guess what: you MUST create an online Microsoft account to do that now!  Bloody hell.  No thanks.

My verdict: Windows 10 is a massive no-no for me.  Will be reinstalling Windows 7 tomorrow.  A shame.  I had hopes.
Saturday, August 01, 2015
Check out the big, ugly Calculator:

Not to mention the yucky fonts.  :(
Wow, that calculator does look insanely bad.
Scott Send private email
Oh dear, I guess we know why it is free now ;)
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, August 03, 2015
Thanks, PSB, for sharing. That calculator is just grim/Kafkaesque. I also hate the all-black bar on the bottom now, many etc.

<rant>This is just further evidence for my view that we *were* in a golden age of user experience, but we have rapidly left it. Gmail went from being near perfect to a tiny mailslot window (about 1.5" on my screen) with a (at one point) ugly black bar at top and other issues. YouTube on mobile suddenly has a garish bright red bar on the top for no apparent reason. iOS6 had a crisp and obvious look on iPad, e.g., and now (iOS7+) it has also become so "elegant" that Fitt is turning in his grave, YouTube no longer has an app that comes with it and therefore can't go fullscreen, the dictation requires you to move your finger after each use whereas previously it didn't, etc.  And of course, post Win7 all skeumorphism, even reasonable uses of it, is replaced with the visual equivalent of Basic English Wikipedia. </rant>
Racky Send private email
Monday, August 03, 2015
Windows 10 may be "free", but the compromise seems to be to nag you to upgrade parts of it:

This game was always free in the past.  Never thought I'd see Windows acting like a mobile phone to this extent.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015
> http://i.imgur.com/yOrF3xu.jpg

How the mighty have fallen!
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, August 04, 2015
I bought a new computer that came with Windows 8, which is horrible.  I was going to wipe the hard drive and install Windows 7, but decided to give Win 10 a try.

Windows 10 is ugly.  Just like Windows 8 only worse.  Not only does 10 have the same ugly, flat design but they went the extra mile and made all the icons ugly too.  As I've been trying out the various Technical Previews over the past several months I've noticed that they changed the icon for the Recycle Bin at least 3 times, and now it looks like Windows 95.  Wow.  That's progress.

Windows have a thin, nearly invisible border that makes grabbing it for resizing more difficult.

Everything looks like it has been dumbed down so that it will appeal to 6 year olds.

Lots of stupid, useless, pointless "Apps", because apps the new hip, cool thing to do..

The faux Start Menu is a joke.  Completely broken and useless.  Installing a program like Classic Shell fixes most of the Start Menu problems, but you shouldn't have to do that.  Windows used to have a perfectly fine Start Menu but, beginning with Windows 8, Microsoft adopted a policy of "If it ain't broke, break it."

All of the bad design decisions of Windows 8 have been carried forward into Windows 10, and in many case made even worse, because it's a new version of Windows, dammit, and we have to make it DIFFERENT.  Microsoft has doubled-down on stupid.

It's no wonder that Microsoft is so eager to give Windows 10 way for free.  That's about what it's worth.
Richard McBeef Send private email
Thursday, August 06, 2015
> If it ain't broke, break it

I like that!  :)

The Win 10 GUI is definitely targeted to touch screens and saving battery life, by getting rid of the 3D effects of Aero and such.  Such a pity.  And then the constant net access: I read yesterday that it uses your internet connection to share updates with others?  Apparently you need to opt out of that.  Get your hands off my bandwidth, MS!
I'm getting a sense of  Déjà vu reading all of these negative posts about Windows 10. I reminds me of the reactions to Windows XP, with all of the accusations about the Fisher Price interface.  As developers our personal opinions don't matter at all to Microsoft.  Windows 10 is here whether we like it or not. Equally it's supposed to be the last version of Windows, as Microsoft are simply going to patch updates into Windows 10 and will eventually just call it Windows.

Overall, I like it because it boots faster and is more responsive than Windows 7. The Edge browser is way faster than bloated monster that Google Chrome has become.  It also runs all of my applications better than Windows 7 does.  It was also nice to see my apps working with the touch interface.
+1 to Andrew for pragmatic comments.
Scorpio Send private email
Actually I kind of like it, but then I like W8.1 as well (although it took me a while to get used to it).
What I really like from a developer's point of view is the change to the upgrade policy - we will be able to, to some extent (at some point),  expect users to be on W10 given that the upgrade is free for pretty much everyone. Supporting multiple Windows versions is becoming a pain in the backside for me (we still support XP) and the sooner I can tell users that we no longer supporting some of the older ones, the better. I don't suppose for a minute that they will all upgrade, but it gives them less of an excuse.
Ugly or not, W8/8.1/10 are vastly better than their predecessors (OK W7 wasn't bad).
Anon123 Send private email
Saturday, August 08, 2015
There is a world of difference between how Apple manages its user base and the way Microsoft does it.  For starters, the Metro UI is butt ugly, at any resolution, on any device, whether it is with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.  Then there is the in your face, no comforting explanation, deliberately difficult to turn off, Big Brother hooks to your Microsoft Live account.  I'm leaving Windows 10 on one development machine for another 2 weeks to make sure my initial revulsion isn't overreacting, the other two machines that did the free upgrade got reversed within 24 hours.

Windows Solitaire Collection is just the tip of the iceberg.  On a fast desktop, the latency between your HID (aka mouse) and the movement of cards on the screens is disorienting and induces queasiness.  Turning off all of the rounded imitation iOS on/off sliders for animation helps to settle down the cards, but it doesn't turn off all animation.  Double clicking with a mouse works almost the same as previous versions of the games, but there are enough variations to still be annoying after two weeks. 

Tiles are a paradigm that has limited value on a tablet (at least Apple uses shading and other visual tricks to make iPads look slick and professional) and has no place whatsoever on a desktop.  I have dual widescreen monitors for a reason, I don't want the OS to waste screen real estate with big fonts for a few words or a flat, simplistic monochrome icon in the middle of a big square filled in with a primary colour .  You can get rid of the tiles by spending some time in Setting pages and right-clicking, but you can't get rid of the useless built-in apps that push data to the desktop and the Start menu and File Explorer manage to be cluttered while providing quick access to only a fraction of the shortcuts and folders that the Windows 7 versions provided.

Microsoft's clone of Time Machine is an improvement over Windows Backup and Restore and the taskbar can be cloned to a second display.  Some administrative tasks seem to work better in the background.  Otherwise, I don't see any speed improvements or usability improvements.  Windows 10 gives Windows 8 users their desktop back, for everyone else, it gives them the middle finger.
Howard Ness Send private email
Saturday, August 15, 2015
The Fisher Price complaints were easily resolved with a theme change, though.  With Windows 10, it's ugly all the way.
Sunday, August 16, 2015

"Even When Told Not To, Windows 10 Won’t Stop Talking to Microsoft"

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Thursday, August 20, 2015
Can't our routers be set to deny outgoing traffic except took certain exes?  So Firefox can browse but the OS can't?
Friday, August 21, 2015
I guess so PSB, but that's way beyond most Windows users.

Microsoft seem to be becoming as creepy as Google...

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, August 21, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics