* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

What causes these weird web stats?

Just noticed that StatCounter showed this for my website:

http://i.imgur.com/hLeYY4y.png

I got all excited, thinking someone's mentioned one of my apps in a blog or something.  But looking at the recent visitor stats, just shows a lot of 404 errors every second:

http://i.imgur.com/roSYOtR.png

What causes that?  I haven't deleted any pages from my website or anything.  And every second?
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, July 30, 2015

I also had such a huge peak on page hits during the last week in the StatCounter numbers. I guess they had a problem on their side?
xmlbuddy Send private email
Thursday, July 30, 2015

Obviously it's impossible for us to answer your question and you are irresponsible to even be asking it.

You need to parse the logs and look and analyze at the ip addresses yourself. That can give YOU some insight.

Why do you waste people's time posting this stuff that you know we don't have enough information to be able to respond?

Are you desperate for attention?
Scott Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2015

Take it easy, Scott.  It was a legit question in case someone else has had something similar happen.  If you don't have anything to contribute other than to put me down, then just stay out of it so that you don't waste any more time on it.
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, July 31, 2015

@PSB136,

I've had this problem for the longest until I started blocking the IPs from my site. So it's definitely not a problem with StatCounter. As to why it's happening, however, I don't know. All I know is that it can be stopped.
Nicole Miller Send private email
Monday, August 03, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics