* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Removing Google search results

I thought I would ask this here as you are a knowledgeable bunch.

I recently revamped my website, and in the process I moved our user forum. Part of this forum is a private beta testers forum which is hidden from normal users.

Somehow, during the move, the beta testing forum became public - and I didn't notice this until Google had indexed it. This was brought to my attention, and some people are complaining because there some "sensitive" information in there (not particularly, in my view but there it is).

I have now removed that sub-forum and asked Google to reindex, but the results (and cache) remain. Does anyone know if there is a way to force these results to be removed?

thanks!
Anon123 Send private email
Thursday, July 09, 2015

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals?pli=1

And maybe upload a robots.txt file that disallows indexing and caching of the new URL.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, July 09, 2015

Thanks - have submitted a request. I had already updated the robots.txt, but since I also removed the forum this shouldn't matter so much. I do intend to re-add the forum once I work out what is going on with the permissions!
Thursday, July 09, 2015

My only concern is that I have entered the top-level address - will it remove everything underneath? It seems to ask for the exact URL, but that would be a major pain (> 1000 posts). Surely it can be done at the directory level?
Thursday, July 09, 2015

OK - got it I think. Thanks again.
Thursday, July 09, 2015

It might remove all below, not sure.  Best that you read up on it.  I was just providing the link for a specific URL.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, July 09, 2015

You may wish to configure your server to return "410 Gone" for such URLs. At least this should stop indexing attempts.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Friday, July 10, 2015

I've had this problem in the past and solved it by uploading relevant robots.txt and also meta tags in the html. Google then removed it all from their index and caching, no need to contact anyone.

My experience is they observe properly formatted directives.
Scott Send private email
Monday, July 13, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics