* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

US form W8-BEN(E)

Hi group!

A reseller is asking me for a valid W8-BEN(E) tax form before placing an order with my payment provider. This reseller is actually the first one asking for this form to sell to the US (from foreign countries like Austria...).

However, to fill this form you need a valid US tax number or a similar one for foreign companies. The surprising part is that I don't have any of these numbers.

Anyone here who also had the case to provide a W8-BEN(E) form for a reseller?

Kind regards
xmlbuddy Send private email
Monday, June 29, 2015
I have a W8-BEN I filled in years ago and scanned. I send a scan of that to someone if they ask. I get asked perhaps 1-2 times per year. I have a vague feeling the rules on this may have changed though.

If you are outside the US do *not* get a US tax number unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing. Once the US tax system gets its claws into you, they will never let go. I have sold plenty of licences in the US, including to the US government, and I don't have at US tax id. I don't intend to ever get one.

If the paperwork becomes a pain tell the customer to buy through a reseller such as shi.com. They should deal with the paperwork and you don't have to give them a discount (I don't). The downside is that they can be quite incompetent at times and might lose the sale.
Andy Brice Send private email
Monday, June 29, 2015
Wow. The W8 link that magically appears above links to a who's who of this forum from 2007!
Monday, June 29, 2015
Thanks Andy!

I wonder why the other resellers don't need this form at all... I guess I just skip this sale.
Monday, June 29, 2015
All these things seem incredibly inconsistently applied. One US government purchasers will make me jump through all sorts of hoops. other will buy with a credit card straight off the website.
Monday, June 29, 2015
You don't need a tax ID, just fill in the form confirming you are NOT a US resident or US tax payer.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Good point AC! I just found online a W-8BEN PDF for download. I completed the form without providing any tax numbers and signed it digitally afterwards. Lets see if they are happy with it :)
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Stick it on your website somewhere. Then you can just send a link to anyone that asks.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics