* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Purchase Page Runaways

I'm noticing that a significant number of people bail after looking at my purchase page. Quite often, a visitor will read my software's description page and be interested enough to consider buying it. But once they land on that page, they run away. They don't even look at other pages!

So I can't help but to think my price scares them away. I mean, I don't *think* it's the design, or the colors, or the fonts (eye roll).

What do you guys do if/when you have this suspicion? My software is a text generator designed to remove writer's block. I charge $49.99 for it. Is that really too much? (insert a teenage "seeeeeriously") here.

:-)
Nicole Miller Send private email
Friday, June 26, 2015

It's perfectly normal, as is running away after adding things to "your cart".

People do this to double-check on the price, to see if there are any sales or catches, to see if it shows shipping options, to see if you take Paypal or bitcoin etc etc.

There can be dozens of reasons why they are not ready to buy at that moment. Price is just one of them.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, June 26, 2015

$0.01 will be too expensive for some people, so I don't recommend you change your price just because some people adandon your site after they see the price.

You could consider having more than 1 price tier:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2013/02/28/how-i-increased-sales-by-adding-extra-price-points/
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, June 26, 2015

If you don't have pricing elsewhere that's what they're looking for on pricing page. It's still "info gathering" phase, it doesn't mean they're ready to buy.
Suka Send private email
Friday, June 26, 2015

> My software is a text generator designed to remove writer's block

From vicarious experience through a friend, i dont think that $49 should be too much for something that can help with writers block. This is a very needy and vulnerable market, perhaps they quit a job to write the book and the stress of being unproductive is intense. There is probably alot of partner and peer pressure on writers that suffer with that to finish the work, negative feelings of self doubt etc.
If the software produces results it will be excellent value.
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Friday, June 26, 2015

For some reason, a lot of sites these days only list their prices on the purchase page. I find this practice irritating. However, if this is the case here, then it explains the stats.
Scott Send private email
Saturday, June 27, 2015

What bothers me is that people baulk at paying $19 for a lifetime app, but will happily spend that on disposables like cigarettes or beer that last less than a week.  Maybe I should mention something like that on my site... "For the price of pack of cigarettes you get all these benefits for life!"
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, June 27, 2015

Cigarette and beer I can hold in my hand. It's a physical object.
Scott Send private email
Saturday, June 27, 2015

Nicole,

1. You offer two payment options, PayPal and DigitalRiver. the later has gotten some very bad comments in this forum in the past. Could it be some of your potential buyers are turned off by it? I sell to businesses only and very few use PayPal so I don't even list it on my order page -just that all major cards accepted.

2.  This is a more general comment. Your domain name seems to have little to do with your product. I found that confusing. My immediate reaction when I arrived at your site was "Oh, this site is about outsourcing services." If I had not come in from the BOS forum link I would have left immediately.

3. Another general comment: every page has the same product information at the top. That amount of redundancy may not be helping. When I clicked the purchase page on my tablet computer that is all I saw because of the small screen -nothing about purchasing until I scrolled down. Again, if I had not come there from this forum I might have just left.
Bill Anonomist Send private email
Saturday, June 27, 2015

Wow - thanks again guys.

Great blog post Andy. I've bookmarked your site :-)

Bill, your feedback is simply invaluable, and I'll be thinking about how to make effective changes (except for the domain name - that thing has some street cred :-). I do acknowledge that it's confusing.

And thanks to your price-payment comment, suka & Scott. I'll probably stick it on the main page soon.

Just thanks again to everyone. Really. :-)
Saturday, June 27, 2015

This:

"To order your copy of First Draft, you must first install it on the machine that will use First Draft. (Full versions of First Draft are tied to the hard drive that they're installed on and will NOT work on any other computers!) Afterwards, you may follow the instructions below to activate the full version of First Draft. If you need an alternative registration method, send an e-mail for a work-around."

is what would have scared me away if I wanted to cure the writer's block.

You are selling to common public, not system administrators. Not everyone even knows what a hard drive is, or that the SSD the sales manager told them to pick over a HDD qualifies as a "hard drive" in this context.

These are also not good:

"WAIT at least 24 hours for an email from "support@justoutsourcing.com." The email message will contain your permanent registration code."

"Most orders are processed within 24 hours."

For a $49 piece of software I expect a registration code in my inbox at most a few minutes after my bank texts me that $49 left the account tied to my card.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

> For a $49 piece of software I expect a registration code in my inbox at most a few minutes after my bank texts me that $49 left the account tied to my card.

I don't know... and I even started another thread here about this.  The assumption that the payment processor fulfills the order is strange.  They're just a third-party who accepts the payment and notifies the manufacturer of the sale: that's it.

Some people will get angry about not getting their code immediately; it even happened to me.  1 person out of 14 abused me.  That's just 7% of my sales.  I can live with that: it's not a big problem in reality.

I think Nicole should re-word it, though, to avoid it sounding like a big delay *will* occur.  Here's how my own website words it:

http://i.imgur.com/jzakHnG.png

Let's break it down.  It starts with "After PayPal notifies us", which lets the buyer know we have to wait for PayPal first.  Next, it lets them know that we, not PayPal, processes the order, so that they can't expect a license immediately.  Then we ask to allow a few hours for delivery, with "few" meaning whatever the customer thinks.  I guess most would assume 2 or 3 hours.  Lastly, we say to allow up to one business day in the case of factors outside our control, which makes them assume we're probably not responsible if they don't get a license within those 2 or 3 hours.

If all that annoys a buyer enough to leave; great!  I don't want such a person as a customer anyway.  They're sure to complain about anything and everything later, like he did when posting a neg review of my website on Facebook.  The bastard.  Wish I never sent him a license and just refunded him instead.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

BTW Dmitry, my last comment is not meant as an insult to you personally!  :)  It's meant for people who read that info on my website and *then* go and abuse me by email anyway.  I don't expect you're that sort of person, right?  ;)
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

PSB136 I agree with you in most parts and up to now I do it the same way. I get the notification about a sale from the payment provider and a usually a few hours later the license is sent by me manually. Of course sometimes I send it immediately. And really rarely a customers complains that they need the license urgently. More important, I don't believe that they think about it before placing the order.

Something I need to change is that my tools just stop working if the trial period is over and then the customer could be left alone without a license in the middle of some task. This is something I want to change in the future. Some kind of notification before the trial is over completely.

However you say you a 7% rate of troubles related to sales doesn't bother you much but I believe this rate is much too high if you think that you want to sell somedays 10+ copies a day of your tools. This would mean you need to deal with a refund or an angry customer each day. Beside the support you have to give to the happy users...
xmlbuddy Send private email
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Hi xmlbuddy!  :)

Good reply.  I also aim to send licenses quickly: I only sleep 6 hours a day, so in most cases I can send a license within 30 minutes of receiving the notification.  This is because when I get the PayPal notification on my phone, I don't get the actual email notification with buyer details until about 30 minutes later.  Just me, or common for everyone?

As for sending it immediately because they might need it urgently or because the trial is over, well that doesn't apply to me because my trials don't expire and they're fully-functional.  So there's no sense of urgency as such.  Even the bastard who abused me wasn't really validated in doing so: he was just sooking because he didn't want to see the nag screen anymore.  It's not like he was missing out on anything or couldn't use the app.

I now see what you mean with the percentage problem, too.  Ah well, I'm still learning and will get it right one day.  :)
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

PSB136,

I can remember your story about the guy complaining for no reason. Such people will show up every now and then and there is not a lot you can do about it.
xmlbuddy Send private email
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

That's so true, XB.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

That's what people are used to these days. Ever bought an app for your mobile phone?
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Serious desktop apps are not little phone apps.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Or do you sell desktops apps for 99c because people are used to it?  ;)
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I know this is OT, but I was so horrified by the description of what your product does that I downloaded it to see if it was really as horrible as it sounds. I couldn't get it to do anything, not even close without using Task Manager (ie. neither the Windows close button nor the File/Exit menu worked). I guess you have to buy a real licence to access those 'features'.
GregT Send private email
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Do you mean my app?  With initials A.U.?
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

GregT, are you talking about my software??
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Just to clarify,

I put that delayed order processing warning up there because one fellow decided to announce on Twitter that he paid for the software, but didn't get a response.

It had only been a few hours before I checked my email, and it was on a friggin' Sunday.

Very embarrassing considering he tweeted that to me and all my 9000+ followers.  :-(
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Just an update on a few decisions,

Scott, "For some reason, a lot of sites these days only list their prices on the purchase page. I find this practice irritating. However, if this is the case here, then it explains the stats." This is the only way I can even gather stats. Without the current set up, I wouldn't know who went where and why.

Bill, "You offer two payment options, PayPal and DigitalRiver. the later has gotten some very bad comments in this forum in the past. Could it be some of your potential buyers are turned off by it? I sell to businesses only and very few use PayPal so I don't even list it on my order page -just that all major cards accepted." I decided to leave it as is (for now) for two reasons. Regarding Paypal, it's the payment processor that my target market is used to. And regarding eSellerate, it's the only affiliate program that I'm aware of for software. If there are others that offer affiliate programs, however, I'd be more than willing to learn about them. I AM changing the text on top of the page though! (ALL of the pages, in fact.)

Dmitry, "You are selling to common public, not system administrators. Not everyone even knows what a hard drive is, or that the SSD the sales manager told them to pick over a HDD qualifies as a "hard drive" in this context." I will have to think of an alternative strategy before I can tackle this one. That won't be easy, as I've read about the troubles people have with preventing software theft in this very forum.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

"I know this is OT, but I was so horrified by the description of what your product does that I downloaded it to see if it was really as horrible as it sounds. "

This is reeeeeally buggin' me. :-\
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

"Serious desktop apps are not little phone apps."

There are pretty serious phone/tablet apps that cost way more than $49 and you know what - you can purchase them just as fast as those little ones:

$249.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proloquo2go/id308368164?mt=8
$999.99: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/agro/id413485998?mt=8
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

"Or do you sell desktops apps for 99c because people are used to it?  ;)"

We sell a desktop app - a s/w development tool - priced in the four-figure range. Delivery (email with download link) happens immediately upon payment clearance, with no manual actions on our part whatsoever.

If you are not doing the same, I bet you are losing sales and get badmouthed by angry customers.

(Back in 1989, I mailed my-then-employer's product out to customers on 5.25" floppy disks after receiving their money by post. But now we are in 2015...)
Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I get what you're saying, Dmitry.  I really do.  But not all online purchases work that way.  Items that are personalised simply cannot be delivered immediately.  If someone orders a custom version of my apps, for instance, then PayPal or FastSpring or whoever can't build them.  The user *has* to wait, even in 2015.
Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Manually customized apps are a totally different story, and I suppose you don't charge $49 for them either.
Thursday, July 02, 2015

Touche!  :)
Thursday, July 02, 2015

I'm not sure why some people here send codes manually. I fail to see any advantages in it, while there are at least 2 obvious disadvantages:
- users have to wait for a code
- seller has to manually check orders, generate and send codes, this time can be spent for something more productive

Also this increases the chance of unhappy users - they'll think twice to purchase again.

@PSB136, your web site only states that the code is not send immediately in the FAQ. There's no such a warning on the product page. My guess, is that not one reads FAQ before purchasing. And users do expect the codes to be sent immediately nowadays.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Monday, July 06, 2015

> I'm not sure why some people here send codes manually

For me, it's simply because I can't work out how to do it automatically.  I tried with PayPal's APN feature, but it just sent a license email to myself about 38 times repeatedly.  I'm no good with web coding -- I don't understand it.  I have nobody local who can teach me, and learning from PayPal's examples aren't working.

It's just way over my head.  :(
Tuesday, July 07, 2015

@PSB136 - you can hire a freelancer to do the job, or do it yourself, PHP is an extremely easy to learn language if you already write desktop software.
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Thursday, July 09, 2015

"I know this is OT, but I was so horrified by the description of what your product does that I downloaded it to see if it was really as horrible as it sounds. "

100% agree with GregT. Do we really need more BS meaningless mass produced "articles" online?

I downloaded the software and tried it. It doesn't "get past the writer block".

What it does is generate a BS "how-to" article or an "opinion" piece  made of  cliche phrases with no meaning and provides plenty of options for "writers" to put lipstick on that pig.

The intended use is obviously to allow "content writers" to scam their clients by providing meaningless garbage  for "content SEO" purposes. The guy gets hired to write an "opinion piece" or an "how to", plugs in the product name, the industry and tada, out comes pompous, cliche-laden nonsense. The only positive note is that unlike some of your competitors, you don't appear to be scraping other website's contents in the process.
Sylvain Galibert Send private email
Thursday, July 16, 2015

Hi Sylvain Galibert,

I'm sorry you weren't able to see the value in my software. But as another person who works with language, I'm a bit surprised! After all, you provide a translation service which copies content that already exists -- in a different language. My product helps writers come up with original content -- in one language.

Perhaps you're confused about what writer's block is. Or how it works. Or how it affects people. Or why it even affects anyone. I have seen some people claim there's no such thing as writer's block. Are you one of them? Because by the lack of any real content on your site (hence, lost site traffic), you might be.

First Draft is for writers who struggle with coming up with material. As a published author and 9+ year freelance writer, I can tell you it becomes increasingly difficult to satisfy demand on a daily basis. Oftentimes, all it takes is a simple phrase to put the brain into writing mode.

And that's all the software is for -- to jog writer's brains into working again after falling into a slump -- whether that slump is five minutes or five days.

It doesn't "scam" anyone. You would have known that if you read the FAQ more clearly. There, it says, "The articles that First Draft creates are purposefully generic, so adding specificities (by hand) will make them more meaningful."

I guess you missed that part. And that's understandable. Often, in a hurry to trash or dismiss the value of something else is hard to resist when there's an ego to boost. Just remember that whatever your real problem is, it isn't with First Draft.
Thursday, July 16, 2015

"Lack of content on your site?"

My website contains about 35,000 words of real content including real how-tos and real studies. Some of that content has been used as support for courses on CAT tools in 3 universities (that I know of, possibly more).

But indeed, my website does not have amazing content like:

"If present day optimizing creates a hassle, confirm the final results and then explore its perks. This is the best approach to learning more about XXX. Things that this eliminates:

1. Encountering difficulties
2. Encountering problems
3. Sending mixed messages
..."

As a language professional, I am indeed aware that the only way to write a useful how-to based on this nonsense is... to chuck it and start from scratch.  You can't fix this "How-To" to make it useful to the person reading it.

And NO, there is no way of "adding specificities (by hand)"  to make something meaningful out of that junk. .

Even though you claim it's about "getting around the writer's block", what this is really about is a simple way to produce large quantities of nonsensical content with a specific keyword density, and resell that bs content to customers buying "content SEO" packages to get better rankings. And your software even tells the "writer" how much to charge - you don't even have a setting to change the rate per word (or it's well hidden).

All this is doing is wasting the time of every reader and (if they have low self esteem) making them feel just a little more stupid for not understanding something meaningless.

"But as another person who works with language, I'm a bit surprised! After all, you provide a translation service which copies content that already exists..."

Translation is the action of communicating a message in a different language on behalf of an author. A translator is a messenger, not a copyist. It's not about copying the words "in another language".

Your content generation is to real writing what machine translation is to real translation: A poor imitation that ultimately hurts the industry you pretend to help.

Thanks to products like yours, the Web is full of BS websites ranking higher than websites with legitimate content as it is impossible to write quality content at the same pace your customers generate garbage, which in turn damages the market for real content writers (because now they have to compete with your $0.014/word trash and spend a lot of time proving that they are real writers).

And on the translation side, it's even worse because most customers can't even see the difference between a proper translation - the result of hundreds or thousands of hours of work, and a slightly modified Google Translate output that took 5 minutes to produce. It's all Chinese to them anyway.

It's destroying our industry. Not only are translation rates not keeping with inflation, but they are lower than they have ever been thanks to the many scam artists advertizing cheap "translation" and turning in ridiculously expensive machine translation.

Half of our potential customers go "$0.14? Are you crazy? I have 10 guys who will do it for $0.02-0.04 tops!"

Now we have to explain endlessly that translators who charge $0.02 per word are not translators but scam artists and that while they make fantastic profits at $0.02, we can barely break even at $0.14. And explaining this to a customer who can't understand the target language is like explaining the difference between a Monet and child's drawing to a blind man. They just don't get it and it drags the prices down.

The only difference between their scam and yours is that machine translation has its uses. Yours could disappear entirely and leave us with a vastly improved Web.

ps: What's do you know? This 651 words rant is probably the most sensible piece ever written based on your software's output. You should be proud!
Thursday, July 16, 2015

"You can't fix this "How-To" to make it useful to the person reading it. "

Look - it's clear that *you* can't. I'm afraid that my customers think differently.  You said for the second time that the software's purpose is to "produce large quantities of nonsensical content." So now I'm convinced that you have some perverted agenda. The software does NOT produce large quantities of anything. And the content most certainly DOES makes sense. The software does NOT tell the writer how much to charge. There IS a setting to change the rate per word, and it's in PLAIN view.

So you're not only wrong. You're lying. The question is, why? What is it about my software that prompts you to take the time to lie about it on a public forum? I know you're incapable of understanding what it can do, but to lie about it? What is your problem?

"Thanks to products like yours, the Web is full of BS websites ranking higher than websites with legitimate content as it is impossible to write quality content at the same pace your customers generate garbage, which in turn damages the market for real content writers (because now they have to compete with your $0.014/word trash and spend a lot of time proving that they are real writers)."

Ah - That must be your problem. You want to parrot common SEO complaints to sound knowledgeable about something. Got it. Too bad it has nothing to do with my software. Go whine to Google. I have nothing to do with your site's lack of traffic. Nor does my software have anything to do with translation. Were you looking for an opportunity to complain about your lack of sales? Did you want someone or some new technology to blame? Again, you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm not in your industry.

Unfortunately, you failed to understand so many things on so many levels, you failed to ask questions, you assumed way too much, you lied, and you tried to blame me for your failures.

So, no. I am not proud. I am embarrassed of you. And something tells me I'm not the only one who's told you that.
Thursday, July 16, 2015

For anyone who might be influenced by Sylvain's trolling comments, I encourge you to try my software for yourself and come up with your own conclusions. Some of the details that this nut doesn't want to acknowlege are important to know. You might not get that if you pay any attention to the above rants.

Sylvian was so fixated on the full article generator, and so fixated on describing the software as some sort of spam machine, he couldn't bring himself to admit that the software places equal weight on the partially-filled outline generator, partially-filled sentence starter generator, and partially-filled phrasal template generator.

Folks, those generators contain blank lines for writers to fill and ellipses for writers to continue.

Had he publically recognized these functions, he would contradicted himself. No spammer that I know of would ever "mass produce" partially-filled outline generator, partially-filled sentence starters, and partially-filled phrasal templates for SEO purposes. It wouldn't work! The output from those functions produce blank lines and ellipses, for Pete's Sake. Can you imagine anyone filling up a website with pages of content with blank lines and ellipses?!

This Sylvian person has a weird agenda, so if you're interested or simply entertained, have some fun with the software. I couldn't be more proud of the direction in which it's heading.  Just be careful not to let people like the one above make up your mind on your behalf.
Thursday, July 16, 2015

Indeed I had a nefarious agenda: I was planning to evaluate your software for my own use. How unfair of me!

After all, I write a fair bit. In fact, I just finished writing the content for a full length French grammar book for English speakers, but my pain point is fiction. I have a couple fiction works that just aren't moving forward.

Hence my original interest in your software - I was thinking about buying it based on your original description.

That was before I actually saw it, of course. I don't have anything to gain in bashing your software, except for the satisfaction of of calling you out on the low quality trash that your software generates.

So there you have it, my "weird agenda" as a Sylvian person (It's Sylvain, btw).

"There IS a setting to change the rate per word, and it's in PLAIN view."

I completely missed it due to the fact that it is greyed out in the trial version, unlabeled. Just a number with no indication of what it is and it being next to the volume (also unlabeled) I mistook it for the keyword density setting. Maybe it would be smart to add a label, a tool tip or at least put a $ sign before the text box.

"And the content most certainly DOES makes sense."

I have already posted a representative sample of output. People here are not stupid, you know. I doubt anyone beside you would claim that the output isn't gibberish.

You claim this software can be used to write useful how-tos? Here is a How-To outline for your tool:

Examining First Draft's momentum
-----------------------------------
Intro
The assimilation of...
It is this simple mechanism of...
Over the last few years, the...
Without this type of scrutiny...
------------------------------------
Refocus on the questions that may be ready to help you "take things to an advanced level"
------------------------------------
In the future...
Some like it this way...
This is why they are...

Yes, any idiot can complete these sentences. No, it doesn't result in an How-To of use for the end user.

But hey, here is the perfect opportunity for a demonstration. Use this outline to explain to your users "how to" set up the rate per word and write a great piece using First Draft.

Surely, as the software owner and a "writer", you can no doubt turn this inane "outline" into a sensible "how to" that will help your users get the most of your software. Go right ahead, the only requirement is that you have to use the outline.

I can't wait to see the marvels that a "published author and 9+ year freelance writer" can produce based on that trash.
Friday, July 17, 2015

Again, I think you have some real problems that I'm not qualified to address. You've already been caught lying about the software, but you haven't apologized. Nor have you apologized for the other lies you told. Until you do that, I won't continue the conversation.
Friday, July 17, 2015

It's ever so convenient. Saves you from having to demonstrate that your software is not a content spam machine, which you can't, because that's exactly what it is.

Usually, I would wish you the best of luck with your endeavors, but given the nature of those endeavors and your lack of ethical standards, I will skip this step and encourage you to rethink what you are doing.

You are trying to sell software to facilitate the work of scam artists. Moral standards aside, your target audience aren't exactly the best customers to have and it takes just as much effort to help them as it does to help real writers.
Friday, July 17, 2015

Sylvain,

I do not appreciate your attack on the software. It is completely off topic.

The original topic is very interesting for me as a mISV, how to track and optimize people who go to the purchase page, the lesson learnt that the price should be displayed simply and clearly on the main page of a web site. Easy for us coders to overlook when we are so focuused on details and a good reminder.

The fact that you do not find the software useful is not important on this thread. Other clients may find it useful, my friend, the one with writers block mentioned above probably will.

I fear that as a result of your comments you will scare away potential posters. BOS has very few decent posters like Nicole, it would be ashame to scare away the remaining ones. I shall certainly think twice before posting a direct link to my web site here now.

Billy
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Friday, July 17, 2015

Thank you very much for your kind words, Billy. Sylvian has been nothing but extremely abusive. And I'm sorry that I was somehow involved with such a shameful display of his behavior!
Friday, July 17, 2015

@Billy
Would you let a virus writer post his programming issues here without calling him on the ethical aspects of it?

The issues involved can be interesting, technically speaking and marketing-wise, but the business of software is not just marketing - ethical issues are just as relevant.

And as you well know, ethical issues have been discussed on this forum many times in the past (piracy, copyrights, cloning - of competitor software, etc.) so they are clearly not "off topic".

@Nicole
I don't know about this Sylvian guy you keep referring to, but so far, I have not resorted to name calling or personal attacks, which makes one of us.
Saturday, July 18, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics