* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google index content keywords messed up

Hi group!

Accidently Google took a .pdf help file from my web pages and added it to the Google index. Unfortunately the content keywords, as you can see them from the Google Webmaster tools, are now messed up and some of my top keywords were losing several positions in the keyword rankings :(

From what I can see now is that removing the URL to the pdf in the Webmaster tools did not restore the keyword rankings or does it take more than 4 weeks to remove the keyword data coming from removed pages?

As a next step I added today the pdf URL path to the robots.txt as a Disallow line.

Is there something else I can do to tell Google that the content keyword data should not take this pdf into account?

Thanks a lot!
Clemens
xmlbuddy Send private email
Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Blocking it in robots.txt should do the trick. You can add a "noindex" tag to links to the pdf as well.

However, it all doesn't matter when visiting your page turns up this:

"Blocked
We're sorry but this website is blocked.
Are you the owner of this website and don't know why it's blocked?
Contact our support team today and we're trying to help you as soon as possible.
Email: support@5hosting.com
Ticketsystem: here"
Jaywalker Send private email
Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hi Jaywalker!

Thank you for the tip to add a noindex tag to the links to the PDF as well. I will do this too.

Regarding the web pages... Yes the site was down this morning for a couple of hours but is online again now. I learned that you have to pay any domain (just the domain registration fee) soon enough if you don't want to have all (other domains) of your web space taken down...
xmlbuddy Send private email
Wednesday, June 24, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics