* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Pondering license change

My apps are currently Trial with a Paid option, which, to me, makes it hard to talk about in forums and blogs because you can get accused of spamming.

So I'm pondering going the "freemium" route, whereby my apps are Free (and cut down) but with a Pro paid upgrade option.  That way, I can talk about and recommend my apps in forums without the stigma of spamming.  (Or so I hope!).

Am I crazy to be thinking about this?  One of my apps has sold 10 copies with the Trial/Paid approach, so do you think a Free/Pro route may kill off any further sales?  My rationale is that I'm hoping being able to talk about my apps in so many more places may lead to more Pro upgrades.
PSB136 Send private email
Wednesday, June 03, 2015

"Am I crazy to be thinking about this"
Yes.
Are you concerned about stigma in forums or having a commercially viable product?
Beyond this many forum participants wont distinguish (or care) whether you're talking about a free or paid app. If it's a commercial endeavour many will see your comments as spam.

"do you think a Free/Pro route may kill off any further sales"
Yes.
If people can get by with the free version and there is no concrete reason for them to upgrade, they wont.

"being able to talk about my apps in so many more places may lead to more Pro upgrades"
Focus on more scalable marketing efforts.

All the best -
Marcus from London Send private email
Wednesday, June 03, 2015

I categorize this in the general category of requesting a soothsayer to predict the future, in order to absolve one of responsibility for their own decisions.

If you want to make this change, go for it. And see what change there is. However, at your current sales levels, absolutely no numbers will have statistical validity. So you can't argue one result or another is scientific.

From a practical standpoint, I lean towards Marcus' comments.

If you have some obvious change where something was wrong and you must change it, go ahead.

But constant churn is a risk too as customers don't know what the offer is. Sometimes that can lead to sales though, this is what holiday sales offers are about.

To do real A/B testing you need to have something like you are making 1000 sales a day and can determine in a statistically valid way whether a particular shade of red leads to more sales.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 03, 2015

"Dear PSB136, I purchased your program when it was paid last month, and now it is free, please refund my purchase."
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 03, 2015

> If people can get by with the free version and there is no concrete reason for them to upgrade, they wont

I know, but in my first post I mentioned the Free version would be cut down, in other words, features disabled and/or missing.  The Pro version would have to be purchased to enable and use them.

However, you've got me thinking that perhaps people wouldn't miss such enhanced features and might be totally content with fewer features forever.  Hmm.

> I purchased your program when it was paid last month, and now it is free, please refund my purchase

No, my plan was that any previously-paid user would automatically be grandfathered to the Pro version with all features available, while any new Free users would only get the cut-down version with fewer features.

Anyway, from what you've all said, and what I've read in blogs about Freemium vs Trial, I've decided to stick with Trial/Paid after all.  Thanks for stopping me from making a big mistake!  :)
Thursday, June 04, 2015

OMG... I just got my 11th sale for that app in the last hour... that's a sign, if any was needed, to keep the license method as-is, for sure!

https://i.imgur.com/1y64GvJ.png

:)
Thursday, June 04, 2015

That buyer better NOT be someone in these forums!  LOL!  :)
Thursday, June 04, 2015

Congratulations PSB136!
xmlbuddy Send private email
Thursday, June 04, 2015

You certainly don't need 1000 sales a day to carry out split-testing...

*rolls eyes*

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, June 06, 2015

Giving something away for free is a poor idea in my opinion.  People don't value free stuff half as much as you think they will.  Shifting them to pay is much harder as they have already associated the current price ( $0 ) with the product.

If you cripple the free version too much they just think it's rubbish and don't bother.  If the free version is too good then why bother paying for the full version?

The only time giving a product away for free is when you are making all your money on a different, alternative product.

Apple like you to give your software away for free so that they can sell hardware.  Google likes you to give your software for free so that they can sell hardware and adverts.  The local cafe gives free coffee so that they can sell you dinner.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Monday, June 08, 2015

> The only time giving a product away for free is when you are making all your money on a different, alternative product

That's why I wrote my free product, so people coming to my site to get it will see my other paid apps.
Tuesday, June 09, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics