* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Sick of download sites

Submitted an app to Download.com the other day, and today I get a reply that "Chrome blocked the download as malicious" and that it needs cleaning before resubmitting.  :(

I checked the Setup.exe with VirusTotal (again) and it reports zero malware from 55 different scanners (0/55 result).  I can't believe that Download.com trusts Chrome to vet their submissions!

Also, another submission site says that one of my apps has had over 20,000 downloads... even though my own website logs and StatCounter report far less (under 1,000).

So, these download sites are starting to p*ss me off.  There has to be a better way to advertise.  Open to any suggestions.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, May 28, 2015

Funny considering the crap they bundle software with.
Just forget download sites. Seriously. You don't need them.

Make a good product, and have presence on relevant social media.
Keep improving it, taking user suggestions. Your users will be happy and will spread the word. That's the best kind of advertising!
Calvert Send private email
Friday, May 29, 2015

Here's a start:
- Google Ads
- Facebook
- Blog Posts
- Joint Ventures
- Direct Mail
- 2-Step Classified Ads
- Magazine Advertorials
- Trade shows
- Trade publications

Perhaps you need to move beyond posting to a download site and hoping people find you.
Marcus from London Send private email
Friday, May 29, 2015

Thanks, Calvert and Marcus.  I'm actually going to look into how much ads cost in local computer magazines here.

BTW, this is my visitor graph for this week:

http://i.imgur.com/9K4JXav.png

I can't understand why today had a spike of page views?
Friday, May 29, 2015

Why advertise in your local computer magazine? Are they your target market?

Isn't there something more focused (targeted) you could promote in? Who is your ideal customer? Where are their watering holes. That's where you want to go fishing.

Also, many direct marketers use a 1-2 approach in print adverting you may want to consider.

The cost of advertising (e.g. 1/4 page ad) in the publication may be prohibitive so they use classified ads instead.

But the classified ad does not try to sell the product. It only tries to raise enough curiosity for the reader to be directed to a website which is your sales page.
Friday, May 29, 2015

"I can't understand why today had a spike of page views?"

Check your logs. Where did they comes from?
Friday, May 29, 2015

I second your opinion! I am now in the process (kind of) of submitting some of my newer products to these websites, and what a joke! Seriously.

- Some of them require newer PAD 4.0 spec where you have to be hosted on 3rd party controlled website, and yet they don;t even have Windows 8 (not to mention almost released Windows 10) as one of their OS-s.

- I am now in the process of review of my PADs on AppVisor, and not only do they encourage you to consider buying their promo services on every step, in addition they have some ridiculous restrictions like your price in PAD has to match your order page (when in fact you can and should have different pricing for different countries). They require you to have a valid mailing address in a PAD file... who cares about that, it's not a code signining certificate you are getting! I could go on.

- TuCows, which apparently used to be good long time ago, now just gives an error if you attempt to submit more than 2 products to the queue, and their queue is estimated to be 90 days long. But they can expedite your submission if you pay $2000! Is anyone actually doing that???

- Betanews Fileforum - my products I submitted 2 years ago have not yet been published!

- Someone mentioned http://alternativeto.net. They are the only one which seem to be nice (though I have yet to have my products listed there).

In short, I feel like it's a total waste of time. One of my revelations in fact has been something like this:
50% of order come from organiz search; 10% from paid search ads; 40% from Q&A, forums, other websites.
George Send private email
Friday, May 29, 2015

> I feel like it's a total waste of time

I'm coming to the same conclusion.  I always get a rush of visitors when a site like MajorGeeks publishes the app, but then nothing really after a week again.  I'm totally grateful for what MajorGeeks has done for me, but I feel it's not enough.  As good as they are, the computing world doesn't revolve around them, so there's bucketloads of customers who'll never see my apps at all.

I'm slowly starting to "get" that business-to-business with cold calls and other direct marketing is probably the best way to sell software, as several people here have said in the past.
Saturday, May 30, 2015

> posting to a download site and hoping people find you

That's totally it.  Bingo.
Saturday, May 30, 2015

I actually just stumbled across this:

http://www.reocities.com/eureka/4291/free.html

It's an archived page by a shareware author, where he offers to give you a free rego to his app if you submit his app to a software site that doesn't currently list it.  I thought it's an interesting approach to market his app and get it listed places that he hasn't reached himself.
Sunday, May 31, 2015

There is nothing wrong with download sites, but as vendors are slowly moving into the SaaS sphere, it seems like download sites are losing out on certain types of programs. I think this divide will get bigger unless download sites will start accomodating SaaS vendors en masse which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

I believe it's an issue worth talking about, espacially since there are many software categories with both SaaS and downloadable solutions. An example is CRM & customer service software (example: http://helprace.com/help-desk ; no downloadable offering)
Vitaliy Send private email
Friday, June 05, 2015

Today, I started getting lots of hits from thewindowsclub.com after a writer posted a review of my app there.  :)  Seems to be a good site, too.  Not affiliated with them in any way, and I'm just posting this here as it looks like a good alternative to download sites for getting hits.
Friday, June 12, 2015

Here's my web hits for the past few days, and today with thewindowsclub.com hits coming in:

http://i.imgur.com/z2LcCVV.png

And to my shock, I made two sales in the last two hours (one just now):

http://i.imgur.com/JT3ZLBy.png

Can't be a co-incidence!  :)
Friday, June 12, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics