* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

PAD files?

Since the last time I dealt with PAD files apparently there are some changes. Version 4 of the spec was released. From what I understood you are now pretty much required to upload, maintain, and host your pads on AppVisor's directory. Their online pad editor is pretty much the same as PAD Manager v.2. in terms of the UI and everything. So it looks to me that those behind ASP, PAD Manager, some submission firms got together and decided that under the guise of spec version update they would end up controlling ISVs' pads much tighter and as a way to sell their service to ISVs. On that regard a few questions:

1. What do you think of all of this? How, and does it affect you?
2. Will you be hosting your pads somewhere other than your website where you control them? And what if you autogenerate them?
3. In an era of Google, SEO, link spam, etc. are they even useful? I suppose a few like Softpedia, download.com and maybe some others still are, but do you really even need pad files to submit to such a small number of websites?

Thanks.
George Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Forgot to mention the extensive mentions of certification on AppVisor's website and within the UI of Pad Editor ($3/mo/pad) and how more and more websites will soon require pads to be certified (which sites, those operated by the same people perhaps?). Sounds pretty fishy to me.
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I guess I am just ranting a bit, but I should also mention that this apparently new spec, while does finally include some "new" (7+ years old features) like facebook and video urls continues to lack some basic functionality:

- No "Includes_NET_Framework" tag, while it still has "Includes_VB_Runtime" tag (which is fine btw, but why no tag for a new-er technology which is almost 15 years old by now)
- Product categories have not been updated in ages
- OS requirements are non-standardized still: Windows Vista (10+ flavors), but "WinXP" and "Win7", and yet "Windows 8" (but not Windows 8.1 and no editions like for Vista)? I mean what kind of a standard is that?

I am sure you can mention a few other problems too.
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I think the time has come when we can safely abort all use of PAD files.

As mentioned, there are only a handful of sites worth submitting to and it's bes to do it by hand.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

@AC I would agree. But some of the bigger players do continue to use them. For instance in their pad repository I came across ACDSee and Nero.
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I didn't create a PAD file for Hyper Plan because I don't want it linked to by the scummier download sites (which is most of them). I might add it to one or two of the better ones 'manually'.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

@Andy Which sites do you think it is still worth adding your products to?
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

>Which sites do you think it is still worth adding your products to?

I am asking that question myself.

Definitely macupdate.com for Mac software.

Perhaps download.com and softpedia.com for Windows software.

I am open to suggestions.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Besides the mentioned ones, Softonic also seems somewhat useful, I even have a sale through it.

For a new niche product these sites are close to worthless imho.

I cannot track download.com downloads but I get very very very few sales that I cannot track back to a search engine or a non-download site referral.

The traffic these sites generate for me is almost ZERO in total, despite being posted to 100+ sites. People just don't use them, most of them are traffic generators to catch some random ad clicks for their owners. Content farm, or whatever the name is.

It's safe to say that in 2015, download sites are not your primary marketing channel.
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sometimes I get traffic from http://alternativeto.net/

So this page might work for some tools.
xmlbuddy Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The best ones (from what I've seen and read) are MajorGeeks, Softpedia, Softonic, and FileHippo.  I think BrotherSoft are meant to be good, but they never reply to my emails or contact attempts.

Personally, MajorGeeks always brings me a rush of visitors when my apps are mentioned there.  And Softpedia is very quick to help if you have any problems with listing your app(s) with them, and write a detailed and honest review of your products.  I recommend these two way above all others.
PSB136 Send private email
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics