* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

product name conflict

The working title I have been using for my product (and planning to release soon) was BlahWhiz. I got the domain name registered as well. But, today, I came to know about the existence of another software named Blah Wizard in the same domain.  I am now wondering whether I should bother about changing the name of my product. Of course, I haven't been influenced by that software at all and honestly haven't even seen it except for the description I found on the web.
Victory Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2015

There is no possibility of an answer to such a question.

This is in the category of predicting the future on an obscure topic with total uncertainty regarding what may develop.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2015

If the other product has "Blah Wizard" trademarked, then you may need to change yours to avoid any Imperial entanglements.  ;)
PSB136 Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2015

Perhaps try a bit of empathy here? If you'd spent the time developing and launching an application and working on name recognition, how would you react if a competitor in the same niche released a product with the same name?

I find it bewildering that you are even considering this. Consider for instance the SEO problems you are going to have competing with an established product with the same name?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2015

+1 Andrew
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2015

There is no web page at blahwizard.com

A search for "blah wizard" yields junk, in fact this very thread on BOS got 3rd ranking in my search

This sounds more like a case where there are similar sounding domain names already registered but no current viable business, no trademark etc to worry about. This is the problem we all face when looking for domain names because nearly all combinations of 2 english words are registered.

Also, a "Whiz" is somebody who is good at something, while a "Wizard" is somebody who does magic, they are different things, the problem is that they sound the same. But even if there were a business using "wizard", you should be alright to use "whiz" if your product/business is in a different area, your logos etc are different and you are not trying to "pass off" your business/product as theirs.

I would be worried that internet searches for your product will not initially work because the search engines will say "did you really mean 'black wizard'?" and show the search results for "black wizard" instead.

Also the word "blah" has negative connotations, its almost like "rubbish whiz", perhaps you will find a name that is more descriptive of your product and positive/cool?

http://aux.messymatters.com/pgnames.html
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Thanks Billy.

I am sorry for not being clear about this. I  meant "Blah" to be a placeholder for something else. I did not feel comfortable revealing the actual word.
Victory Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

> I  meant "Blah" to be a placeholder for something else. I did
> not feel comfortable revealing the actual word.

Oh I am sorry for my mistake which I will blame on a lack of coffee or switching from Spanish to English :(
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

> I  meant "Blah" to be a placeholder for something else

That's what "foo" (or "foobar") is for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar
PSB136 Send private email
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics