* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Finally made 10 sales :)

In this forum there's a lot of talk about how you shouldn't commit to writing an app unless you get 10 people who say they're willing to buy based on the idea alone... well, last night one of my apps had its 10th sale since launching in January (4 months), so I'm very pleased.  :)

Yes, it's still small-time for me.  I'm not rich, ready to quit my day job, or anywhere near ready to retire, but the money so far is nice and the income-to-work ratio is fantastic ($19 for 1 minute of work = $1140 per hour).

This is what I've learned so far:

(1)  Don't price your apps too cheap: raising prices actually generated sales for me, even when one was raised by a massive 444% ($9 to $49).

(2)  Don't waste time with PAD files.  I didn't.  Just publish your apps to big-name sites like Download.com (but ask them not to wrap your app in their Installer), MajorGeeks, Softpedia, and FileHippo.

(3)  Signing your executables may or may not help.  I haven't signed but made 10 sales so far, so the UAC prompt obviously wasn't an issue for 10 end users.  Would that perhaps have been 100 sales instead if my app was signed?  Who knows.

The advice in this forum has been great!  I'd hate to see this place shut down.  Let it stay open for others like myself who may visit in future.  Thanks.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, May 16, 2015

"$19 for 1 minute of work = $1140 per hour"

Just so there's no misunderstanding, you are joking, correct?

You don't really believe you are making that rate do you?
Scott Send private email
Saturday, May 16, 2015

Congrats PSB136! Maybe I'll catch up to you soon! Lol
Nicole Miller Send private email
Saturday, May 16, 2015

Congratulations PSB136 - perseverance is the key. 

I have a program that took 3 and a bit years to make 10 sales. Now 10 years down the track the program is unrecognizable from what it was then and makes me a significant contribution each month.
fisher Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2015

Code signing doesn't make more than a few percent of difference in income, I'm inclined to believe.
Zka Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2015

By the way how the hell you submit stuff to Filehippo? I could not even google up a submit form or page.
Zka Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2015

@Zka:  All I did was contact FileHippo and politely asked if they'd be interested in featuring my product on their website, and gave them the URL.  They replied asking for more info, which I sent.  A month later, it was listed.  I can't give any further specifics than that, as I don't think they'd appreciate it.

@Scott:  Why is that hourly rate a joke?  If I receive 60 sales at $19 each, and it takes me 1 minute to process each sale, then I made $1140 for that one hour's work.  Of course, this is not including PayPal's cut, taxes, etc.
Monday, May 18, 2015

"Of course, this is not including PayPal's cut, taxes, etc." and the amount of work you had before to create the software, the web pages, support, getting listed on web sites, writing help files... :)
xmlbuddy Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2015

Well, I'm talking about the sales after the work of hosting and writing has been done.  The profiteering stage, for want of a better word.
Monday, May 18, 2015

If you can sell one, you can sell 10, if you can sell 10 you can sell 100.  If you can sell ..... you get the picture.

Next milestone 100 sales!
TomTomAgain Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2015

Inspiring words,  Tinting!  :)
Monday, May 18, 2015

Of course I meant "TomTom".  Hate auto-correct.
Monday, May 18, 2015

Congratulations!

As a psychological exercise, you should go back and re-read your previous posts about how you will never have any success, should give it up, etc. :D It's so nice when we're wrong about stuff like that (and we often are).
Racky Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Yeah, Racky, you can definitely see the stress in my previous posts about trying to finish my apps and get published.  So many times I threw in the towel.  :)

But I kept coming back because I knew I could do it, and because I truly enjoy writing software.  Now with 10 sales under my belt, I feel more inspired than ever to keep working harder at it.
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Even worse: go through these forums and read how many people announce an app, with their website listed... and then discover that the website doesn't even exist anymore.  :(  Makes me wonder what the trick is to survive.
Saturday, May 30, 2015

BTW, it's now 13 sales for that app -- I made 3 sales in the last 24 hours for it.  :)  This is getting exciting!
Saturday, June 13, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/FdiVAXi.png

I wonder when I'll get a full screen of notifications like that.  :)
Saturday, June 13, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics