* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Best customer-tracking app?

I had another 2 sales last night (woohoo!) so now I think it's time to properly set up a customer-tracking app of some kind, as my plain text file of customer details is starting to look ugly.  :)  Any recommendations?
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2015
Next step is definitely an Excel spreadsheet until you get alot more customers!
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2015
I had made by one customer-tracking app, guess market needs some good customer-tracking app, maybe I will release it.
Damjan Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2015
LOL @ Billy.  :)
Monday, May 11, 2015

No joke, I really think that an Excel spread sheet is good for hundreds of customers. When it reaches the thousands it is time to look for a software solution. Dozens or hundreds of customers is a "non-performing" software product as Krzysztof Kowalczyk describes it here:

(his second post half way down)

and we should be spending out time trying to make a "hit" software product instead of wasting our time on small things that dont matter.
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2015
What's the goal with customer tracking?

I store customer and purchase details in my webpage's database automatically (paypal IPN, FastSpring https notification) to generate and list invoices and calculate sales statistics. I also send automated emails to remind them about expired upgrade protections. If I'll ever have another product, I'd use this database to mail them about it.
Are there any other benefits in customer tracking?
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Did anybody customize fastspring store, I think it is to basic and it can affect sales, any toughts?
Damjan Send private email
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
> What's the goal with customer tracking?

What I'm referring to is just a way to remember who bought what, for what price, which upgrades they're entitled to, and any support questions I've answered for them.
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
"Did anybody customize fastspring store, I think it is to basic and it can affect sales, any toughts?"

My FS store is not customized. Indeed it's too simple.

Out of curiosity I've just counted my numbers. I have both FS and PayPal set up on my website. PP isn't available for EU since this year, but anyway - I can perfectly measure the cart efficiency.

I only have data since last summer or so. But that's already a fairly big data set.
230 clicks on FS purchase button resulted in 175 sales (76% CR)
449 clicks on PP purchase button resulted in 392 sales (87% CR)

PayPal convers better. Consider that my PP button isn't available for EU25, therefore almost all PP customers are from the US which coverts much better than EU anyway. In the end the difference is probably negligible. Anyway, lower number is lower, therefore I'll customize my FS cart to increase checkouts, it can only get better.
I'm B2C, if that matters.
Zka Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics