* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Did you lost in the last 4-5 days 20%-40% of your google trafic?

In the last 4-5 days there was no google algorithm change but I lost 30% for my google traffic.
I read that other got this as well.

There was the mobile update few weeks ago but i am talking about desktop traffic - started few days ago.

Have you noticed the same?
Any speculations why if there was not algorithm change?
mb12 Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2015

I don't see any real change in traffic from Google (organic search or AdWords) in the past week or two.  That said, we did make sure our site was mobile friendly.
Doug Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2015

Hi Doug
It is not mobile issue.
I see the traffic lost from desktop as well.
I know it is not just me since i read many reports about this.

I wish i had you luck since this traffic lost is really scary  ...
mb12 Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2015

my sells our down, maybe is related
Damjan Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2015

Damjan Hi.
Yes this also I noticed.
Seems that in addition to low traffic, the traffic I now do get is not a quality traffic ... not sure how to explain but yes, I do see drop in conversion as well.
mb12 Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2015

Google has made it clear in the last few weeks that if your site doesn't use responsive design then your ranking will drop. I believe the deadline kicked in a week or two ago.
Cidtek Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2015

Yes, but I had the impression that they are only going to change the ranking for not responsive pages on searching from mobile devices.

So actually I thought that the ranking is not changed for a search started from desktop PCs.

But I also lost several positions for a few keywords during the last week and I just have 2 pages converted to the new responsive design (for testing) and a lot of pages left...
xmlbuddy Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2015

What is responsive design?
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2015

Don't worry, I just googled it. Sorry!
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2015

It's quite traditional that now and then you'll get a weird drop in sales/visitors/downloads.

Mostly such things heal themselves.

If still concerned try a search, read and download/install/sign-up from a raw computer you don't normally use, to see if anything weird is happening.

Note that if you search on your normal machine Google is likely to feed you your own site because it's a personalized result. Try your local library or some net cafe instead.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2015

AC it is NOT that.
Google did made huge update.
They just do did not tell anyone about that.
The expert calls it Phantom 2.
More info here:
http://www.hmtweb.com/marketing-blog/phantom2-google-update-april-may-2015/

Many many website lost ~50% of their traffic - i lost only 30% :(
mb12 Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2015

There was definitely a major change during the last days in the Google Index.

I just wonder if I also lost about 20% of traffic where are the visitors now? I don't have a lot of links and no ads on my pages. All I have is content, pictures and keywords. Actually from the information given in the link from the previous post I would expect that my pages would get more traffic now...
Friday, May 15, 2015

" where are the visitors now?"

Well i guess that like with every google update, your traffic just go to any location that make google to earn more money ...
mb12 Send private email
Friday, May 15, 2015

"Well i guess that like with every google update, your traffic just go to any location that make google to earn more money ..."

Hm, ok. So I have to put AdSense on my pages where I actually want to sell my own product? ;)

Or maybe I have to start to do some AdWords again...
Saturday, May 16, 2015

"Hm, ok. So I have to put AdSense on my pages where I actually want to sell my own product"

Well this is new to you?
Search google for your product keywords.
Then look how many of the 10 first results are somehow making money to google - yes they are going in this path for few years - check the 10 first results and let us know.
mb12 Send private email
Saturday, May 16, 2015

Well, it is not really new to me and I also know that Google wants to make money but actually I constantly try to provide better content, raise my important keywords and started to use a responsive design (bootstrap) but then I get lower traffic?

On the other hand I need to take a closer look during the next weeks on this issue. Maybe some changes are still not in the index of Google (especially the responsive design).
Saturday, May 16, 2015

I do not think it is responsive design issue.
Google says few times that desktop traffic will not be damaged - only mobile traffic - but i and other in the link i gave see the 20%-50% traffic lost even for desktops ...
mb12 Send private email
Saturday, May 16, 2015

Hey guys (and gals),

I just found out Google released its "Phantom" update earlier this month. Might have something to do with traffic drops. Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/googles-phantom-algorithm-update-hits-websites-n358346
Nicole Miller Send private email
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics