* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Using press releases in the B2B IT sector?

Does any body use press releases to announce their software (new releases, major features and so on).

If so which services have you used for the release(s), did you see the press release getting picked up by others sites/journalists/... and do you think they benefit sales?

If it matters, we are selling b2b in the IT sector, but I would be interested to hear if other sectors have had success with this.
maxr Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

We have tried.  You get picked up from a few automated services (probably similar to an RSS reader to website sort of tool), but no human has ever shown any interest.  The SEO benefit from those sites that do show the release is questionable.

Now if you're doing something hip and cool, or has a great personal angle, you might get some traction.  But just announcing a product and some features won't do it.
Doug Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

I found that making notices to tech news sites that my customers follow is pretty smart.

Generally you should not have to pay for this.

The sites you pay for are generally sites no one visits.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

Would you mind mentioning which tech news sites you like Scott?  There are so many it's hard to find the good ones in the noise!
Doug Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

Yes, we do. Tried PRWEB (cheaper) and eReleases (technically, a less expensive backdoor to PR Newswire). I also recall using eReleases' editing services once, as we do not have native English speakers on staff and the release was less technical than usual. Worked reasonably well.

At a minimum, we get incoming links seeded on a bunch of news aggregators. Occasionally someone would copy and paste our release to their blog, but sometimes there is a genuine publication. The most recent release resulted in one. (To moderators: hope it is okay if I post the links, but if not, please edit them out.)

Release:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/excelsior-introduces-corebalance-technology-to-reduce-stop-the-world-java-garbage-collection-pauses-on-multi-core-processors-300029594.html

Publication:

http://adtmag.com/articles/2015/02/11/jet-garbage-collection.aspx
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2015

I've used PRWEB a few times. The chance of getting it picked up on a big website if you are a niche product is small. It probably has some SEO benefit, but it is hard to quantify. And each time I end up feeling a bit violated by their aggressive segmentation, overcharging and upselling.

prMac is much better value if you have Mac software.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2015

Thanks for everybody's input, very useful!
maxr Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics