* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Cust wants freeware app changed

One of my apps is freeware.  Today I received an anonymous email (through guerrillamail.com) where the person hates that the app always starts with a splash screen, and they want it removed or they've threatened not to use it.

The app was purposely planned to start that way, so I don't intend to remove it, not even to make him happy or for goodwill.  As far as I'm concerned, when it's freeware, he can take it or leave it and I don't really give a hoot.

So, how would you respond to such a demand -- even if I can?  I don't even know if the email reply would work because it came from something like "124grb+1z0fjt7uhyww2@guerrillamail.com".
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

Typo: subject should say "user wants" and not "cust wants".  He's not a paying customer at all.
Thursday, May 07, 2015

I would completely ignore it and do something better with my time.

If several people mailed in asking to remove the screen I'd say:

"The version without the offending screen costs $20".
TomTomAgain Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

I'd make that app shareware. Paid version would remove that splash screen.
Zka Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

"guerrillamail.com"

Wow, thanks, this is just what I need for sending constituent letters to my representative without having to fear he will sent a goon squad out to blast my head off.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

well users can't have everything for free, developers needs to feed families also
Damjan Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

A user who hasn't paid you is complaining about a feature of your app and, if you don't change it, he/she will...stop using your app?

Ok.

Someone who hasn't paid you isn't your customer and you are under no obligation to make them happy.
Kevin Walzer Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2015

I ended up replying with this message:

"Thanks for your feedback!  Unfortunately the splash screen is there to display the copyright and can't be officially removed; however we are more than happy to create a custom version of the app, just for you, for AUD $29.  Please reply if interested."

That was actually my intention when I released the app that way.  I was thinking it's a good way to publish freeware apps but with a way to make money from them, without incurring a spam response on forums and such.  That is, forums generally don't mind if you plug your own freebie tools, but frown upon you posting paid app posts.
Friday, May 08, 2015

Do you really think think that it does worth to make that custom version for 29 AUD?

I would suggest to multiply the price at least by 10 or  100.
MatrixFailure Send private email
Sunday, May 24, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics