* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is Avangate defrauding us?

Hi,

for reasons unknown, Avangate completely stopped communicating with us. We've been with them for over 6 years.

Then May 1 came and went, and we didn't receive a sales report. Usually those come on the first of the month, rarely the second, never later. This time, it's still missing.

I've emailed info, pay, support and supportplus to no avail. There is no vendor support phone number, just headquarters which don't seem to lead anywhere.

What is going on?

Markus
Markus Spoettl Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Dont know if their support staff are based in their US, Dutch or Romanian offices but the 4th and 5th are holidays in the Netherlands (http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/netherlands/) which might be related.

Hopefully nothing fishy is going on.
maxr Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

I got my sales report from Avangate on the first of this month, as usual.

There could be all sorts of reasons you didn't get your report, including aggressive spam filters and a bug at their end. So I would be a bit careful about using words like "defraud". It could be libelous and is unlikely to improve your relationship. I hope you sort it out soon.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

I  have started to use avangate in the middle of past month and they wish to charge me fee of 150usd for chargebacks but there is none yet  and if they take this funds will be insufficent to send, if they do this i think that I will return money to the users and try my luck elsewhere
Damjan Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

My Avangate report was also "late" this month. 

However I'm not concerned.  It was May day on Monday maybe the office was closed  or maybe they had an issue running the report or maybe they now have started to stagger the report generation.

Nothing to get alarmed about in my view.

As long as the money turns up!
TomTomAgain Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

I just got this email from Avangate:

"Please be advised that the Avangate Sales Reports associated to your
Avangate Commerce accounts have been sent today, May 5th, instead of May 1st. In our process to continuously enhance the Avangate reporting an important update has been made that caused a delay in the delivery of the reports.

Note: Payments are not affected by this delay, and they are happening on schedule.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this situation may have caused."
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

I got that too and the sales report that was missing. So the fear of getting ripped off probably was an overreaction.

What is still alarming is that although they are almost exclusively have to do with software vendors, who sell their software 24/7/365, they have no real way to get a quick response if something urgent comes up. On a weekend, say, or outside of Romanian office hours. There is not a single phone number you can call as a vendor to get immediate support. This is rather disconcerting and has caused us a lot of grieve over the last couple of days.

Thanks for the responses, they helped a lot!

Regards
Markus
Markus Spoettl Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics