* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Copyright author in About window

Just wondering: currently my apps, in the About window, state: "(c) 2015 MyName".  Since I'll be relaunching my website with a new design, I'm thinking it should say "(c) 2015 CompanyName" instead, to appear more professional, rather than a personal indie app.

The only thing that bothers me, is my company name isn't registered yet.  Would that cause legal problems later?  Can someone "steal" my app/intellectual property if they register my company name and claim the app is thus theirs, because the About box says "(c) 2015 CompanyName"?
PSB136 Send private email
Wednesday, April 29, 2015

BTW, I'm obviously going to register the name at some time in the future, but can't afford to right now.

I'm not aware of any legal issue using "(c) 2015 Mick Dundee" for now and "(c) Dundee Pty Ltd" later.
I believe you can transfer copyright ownership from you as an individual entity to your company (as a separate legal entity). Whether that may incur costs is another question (as you're transferring something of commercial value).

As you're probably aware, ASIC stipulates minimum requirements for company creation such as office holders:

http://asic.gov.au/for-business/starting-a-company/minimum-officeholders/

While a new company is more expensive, you can buy a shelf company for around $100 AUD.

http://asic.gov.au/for-business/starting-a-company/how-to-start-a-company/

The best advice you can get here for these types of questions is 'seek professional advice'.

Having said all that, do you *need*  that level of detail right now (i.e. who should I assign copyright ownership to)?

Perhaps you'll get a better ROI simply focusing on getting the product out there and coming back to take care of the minuate when it matters.

All the best -
Marcus from London Send private email

I recall there's an issue with (c) not being a valid copyright notice. You want either the full word copyright or the © symbol.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, April 30, 2015

As far as name, I'd use your name and not the company one unless you are really working for a company and transferring copyright to it, meaning relinquishing your rights in the future should you get bought out or what not. Preferable to allow the company to have a license to use your software anyway.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, April 30, 2015

I agree with Scott, don't use a company name that does not exists yet!

If you want to appear more professional, I know in my country at least,  a self employed person can register a business name they trade as for something like 30 euro, This way you can legally trade under a different name.

I would imaging (IANAL) using a company name that doesn't exist is in some way fraudulent and I would totally advise against doing this.
maxr Send private email
Thursday, April 30, 2015

Thanks guys, I found out that registering a business name in Oz is cheaper than setting up a company (only $78 for 3 years!) so I'll register the name so I can put "(c) 2015 BizName" in my About box.

Unless they're some further legal/risky reason not to?
Thursday, April 30, 2015

"Unless they're some further legal/risky reason not to?"
To some extent it  depends on what your objectives are.

From a tax and legal perspective, you *are* the business (if you just register a business name. What the business owns - you own. What tax obligations the business incurs are your obligations.

If the business owns copyright of the app, that's not really different from you owning it. Using the business name for the copyright is semantics.

A company is a separate legal entity. You are *not* the company (merely a shareholder, director and employee). The tax and legal obligations of the company are not yours.

So if you assign copyright to the company, the company owns if not you. If someone violates that copyright, the onus would be on the company to take action.

At this stage in the game though, does it make a difference?

All the best -
Marcus from London Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2015

"claim the app is thus theirs"

Even if they claim it's theirs, they have no source code.  So if worse came to worse, you rename and recompile.  They are stuck with a version that will never get any updates.  Just don't see it happening...
Doug Send private email
Friday, May 01, 2015

They have no source until they sue you to force it over?

I know, I'm always thinking and planning for the worst...  :)
Saturday, May 02, 2015

"They have no source until they sue you to force it over?"

Having a tiny bit of text on a website or compiled into an EXE saying "copyright (you)" is not some magic shield that will protect you from a psychopath that would go to that length!
Doug Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2015

Let me try and put your mind at ease.  When you're tiny and making $1000/month or less, _nobody_ care who you are or what your software does.  You'll find it's even hard to give it away to more than a few hundred people.  Even paying people to try it would be surprisingly hard.

Nobody cares until you've got a viable business bringing in some real money.  At that point register, get lawyers, copyright, whatever.  But right now (as far as the other 8 billion people on earth are concerned) you're not much different from a high school kid who just wrote some little utility app.  I'm not trying to mean, just realistic.  I get the paranoia (have some myself) but don't let fear control your business or your life.
Doug Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2015

I know you have good intentions, Doug.  :)  It's all good.  I ended up just using "(c) MyName" after all.
Saturday, May 02, 2015

"I recall there's an issue with (c) not being a valid copyright notice. You want either the full word copyright or the © symbol."

False. You only need show you wrote it first; you automatically own copyright as the author.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, May 15, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics