* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Returning visits rate

Hi!

I have a rate of roughly 10% of returning visits to my web pages and I have no idea if this is ok, too low or very high :) Is someone her having a much higher rate of returning visits?

What I can tell is that if for some reason the rate of returning visits drops, sales are going down also. In addition I take this rate as an indicator for the quality of the software and web pages. Last time I had to fix a bug that caused a crash on starting the application for some people to get the rate of returning visits to a normal level again...

The challenge is to what level can one bring the rate of returning visits?

Thanks!
Clemens
xmlbuddy Send private email
Friday, April 24, 2015

Really hard to say without knowing about the software.  If someone downloads and your software works perfectly for them for the rest of their life, why would they return?

Do you have anything to entice them to come back?  Cross-selling other products, or update notifications?
Doug Send private email
Friday, April 24, 2015

> Really hard to say without knowing about the software.  If someone downloads and your software works perfectly for them for the rest of their life, why would they return?

I have the impression that for the initial sale people always come at least a second time. Sometimes just to visit the purchase page... Of course afterwards they might never come back but they are already recorded as returning visit.

(But this is also a good point. Maybe I should add a way to order the software right from the application.)

But I would also like to know what rate of returning visits other people have :)
Friday, April 24, 2015

> But I would also like to know what rate of returning
> visits other people have :)

I don't think it will tell you much, but I have three websites.  My stats are:

Site 1: 17% returning
Site 2: 13% returning
Site 3: 2.5% returning
Doug Send private email
Friday, April 24, 2015

My log for last week says I've had 261 first-time visits, and 22 returning visits, which equates to 8.4% returning.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, April 25, 2015

44% of returning visitors for my website.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Thursday, April 30, 2015

@Igor Wow, 44% sounds pretty a lot! Congratulations.

I know that the numbers are not fully comparable but I guess a target of about 15% of returning visits should be achieved.
Thursday, April 30, 2015

Probably my result is some how related with a logic how my website works. I have typical 1% conversion sales:visits.
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Hm, I would like to have a ratio of 1 sale per 100 visits. Currently I have about 150 visits per day and 2 sales a week in average.
Tuesday, May 05, 2015

>Currently I have about 150 visits per day and 2 sales a week in average.

Which is worse, your visit to download or download to sale ratio? If the visit to download ratio is worse, maybe you should concentrate on your website. If the download to sale ratio, maybe you should concentrate on the product (particularly the initial experience).
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics