* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is "above the fold" still relevant?

I'm re-designing my website and the way I'm doing it has the app title at top, then a screenshot, then the pitch, then the call-to-action text followed by the Download and Buy Now buttons.

I'm a bit worried that those buttons are at the very bottom of the scrollable page, because I've read you're supposed to have them "above the fold" for easy clicking.  But I feel the page flow makes better sense to have them at the bottom.

Any ideas on any compelling reason to move them back to the top?
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, April 10, 2015

You want it absolutely as easy as possible to find the buy and purchase buttons IMHO.  Can they be part of your page header?  Or maybe in a side bar?  We actually put that at the top and the bottom.
Doug Send private email
Friday, April 10, 2015

Hi Doug.  The buttons are easy to find, as there's not much content to my new design.  It's way less cluttered and has a larger font type, and the buttons are found with just a single page-down or small scroll.

But from your comment, I guess I could add a text link at the very top, that when clicked, simply jumps to the bottom of the page to where the buttons are.  Might be a good compromise.  I just don't want the buttons at the top as they distract from the description and pitch of the product.

BTW, the reason I started this thread was directly due to this:

http://iampaddy.com/lifebelow600/

It got me thinking that the fold isn't needed in the 21st century.
Friday, April 10, 2015

Actually, I just happened to view the web link above on my iPhone and realised that no, the fold isn't actually as relevant anymore: because of the portrait orientation of handheld devices/phones.

In other words, there really is no "fold" to worry about when viewing web pages on cell phones.  The "fold" appears to me to be a relic of old desktop PC times.  Observe:

Web page on desktop PC:
http://i.imgur.com/nyvcpB6.png

Same web page on iPhone:
http://i.imgur.com/gEKOx1C.png

So maybe it's not such a big deal.  I probably still will put a small text link at the top of my web page, though, as it can't really hurt.
Friday, April 10, 2015

For every such question regarding page layout you will find case studies that prove both sides of the argument.  The only way to be sure for your own case is to A/B test your alternatives.  And be aware that something north of 80% of A/B tests prove that there is no significant difference between the options.

My own belief is that you need to allow the viewer to follow his normal thought process of first getting attracted to your offering (a good headline) then getting a bit more information (a graphic plus bullet list of benefits and features) and finally making the choice of downloading or not.

Some "experts" have reported that having a screenshot too close to the top of the page leads Google to conclude that it is a "sales" page and not an "information" page and therefore give it a lower ranking. Testing my pages gives some weak confirmation of this, but certainly not enough to make it a universal law.
fisher Send private email
Saturday, April 11, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics