* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

ShareIT or Avangate?

I am shareit user for 10 years now, but in last 2 months there is many chargebacks and paypal refunds and I dont know why, never been like this in years, also support in shareit in non existing, Today i have received chargeback from an order in january and today is april which is very unusual, so i was thinking to try Avangate, any pros, cons?

Regards!
Damjan Send private email
Wednesday, April 08, 2015

I have only used Avangate as a consumer, not as a business, and I found them to be highly disreputable.  I think you'll find the same thing with a little research.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/directory/avangate
Richard McBeef Send private email
Wednesday, April 08, 2015

BMT Micro are great for support. Emails are replied to within a couple of hours, rather than the couple of days from ShareIt. BMT are a little more expensive than ShareIt (9.5%) but worth it in my opinion.
fisher Send private email
Thursday, April 09, 2015

ShareIt was very bad for me in 2013, I left them after less than 20 sales. Constant "manual screening" made huge delays in my orders, leading to several order cancellations. I use paypal IPN and FastSpring, both are good.
Zka Send private email
Thursday, April 09, 2015

is your sales better now on other processor?
Thursday, April 09, 2015

I moved from ShareIt to Avangate 4 years ago and have never regretted it.

Their customer service is very good and they have been extremely helpful to both my customers and me over the years.
TomTomAgain Send private email
Thursday, April 09, 2015

I have used Avangate as a seller (of a not so successfull product up to date), and their customer support was perfect, because they answer within the same business day, when I asked for non standard requests, in order to regularize better my fiscal status post-poning some invoices, and they helped me in a professional and impeccable way.

I read regularly this forum, but I never post. But I'm happy of Avangate service, so I take time to answer.

Honestly: they charge  "a lot", and if some day solutions like ripple/bitcoin/direct-bank-transfers will be widespread and legal, I will move for sure. I don't like giving free money to resellers, only for the service of moving money, and fiscal safety in case of invoicing to foreign countries. But at least Avangate gave me a good service, when needed. So I don't respect the "status of affair", but I respect the company and trust their customer service.
Massimo Zaniboni Send private email
Thursday, April 09, 2015

I have sold thousands of licences through Avangate and have been very happy with their service.

I wouldn't touch any Digital River owned service (such as ShareIt) with someone else's bargpole.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, April 10, 2015

Thanks  guys, I will go with avangate!
Friday, April 10, 2015

@Andy, how do you find Avangate with regard the recent changes in EU VAT regulations? Does their process handle it smoothly? Cheers.
maxr Send private email
Friday, April 10, 2015

Thanks maxr - I was about to ask them same thing.

While we're on the topic, I was also looking at SagePay (UK).
Does anyone have any experience with them?
Marcus from London Send private email
Friday, April 10, 2015

>how do you find Avangate with regard the recent changes in EU VAT regulations? Does their process handle it smoothly?

Completely seemless. I didn't have to do anything.

I don't know if there were any visible changes for the purchaser, but I haven't had any complaints.

And if they implemented it wrong, it will be them that gets prosecuted. ;0)
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, April 10, 2015

Strange now when I started to use Avangate they simply ignore to upgrade my account from Growth to Standard Edition.
Monday, April 13, 2015

It appears that avangate support also sucks
Monday, April 13, 2015

+1 for fastspring
GerryLu Send private email
Tuesday, April 14, 2015

yep fastspring will be my backup option if avangate go wrong, shareit is history for me, at avangate there is 3x more sales t the moment.
Tuesday, April 14, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics