* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Qt and C++ for mobile development

Anyone doing mobile development with Qt and C++? I want to make a crippled but yet functional mobile version of my desktop app. The current issue I see is that my C++ libraries that use curl or other libs for XML and JSON processing won't work and I'll have to rewrite them using Qt classes, which is such a shame. Anyone been here? What did you choose?

I guess the alternative is to use HTML5/javascript.
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Thursday, March 26, 2015

I know nothing about iphone, but if you want to target Android, then you can try ndk, CURL as well as libxml can be build on ndk without any problem.
QT also have a version whcih support Android
GerryLu Send private email
Thursday, March 26, 2015

I done lots of Qt/C++ development, but no mobile. Qt has plenty of support for XML. Not sure if there is any support for JSON.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, March 27, 2015

I've checked some of their examples. The resulting apk for distribution of a very simple example is 20MB. This seems a lot to me for a companion mobile app.

I've researched a bit and found there are frameworks for wrapping HTML5/javascript application inside a tiny native host and this works for iOS and android. Example are phonegap.com and ionicframework.com.

Anyway, it is worth spending some time on deciding on the stack before doing any real work. If anyone have any real experience with business oriented mobile app, please share your wisdom!
ThistimeAnon Send private email
Friday, March 27, 2015

>The resulting apk for distribution of a very simple example is 20MB

That will depend on how you configure Qt and what libraries you use.

My Hyper Plan Qt application installer is 4.6 MB on Windows and 7.3 MB on Mac (compressed).
Andy Brice Send private email
Saturday, March 28, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics