* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!


» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)


Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Does a UK company need a US Tax ID

My company is based in the UK and has no presence or employees in the USA.

I sell software to US companies and have recently begun some bespoke development for a US company.

They think I need a US tax ID.  I do not believe I do.

In the 5 years I have been doing this nobody else has asked for one.

Does anyone know whether I do need one or not?

TomTomAgain Send private email
Friday, March 20, 2015
No, you don't. My company is registered in the UK and I regularly raise invoices on a company in the USA, and they have never mentioned the need for a US tax id. As a UK company I do not have to charge VAT (sales tax) for USA customers, so there is no tax involved, therefore absolutely no need for any sort of tax id, UK or otherwise.
Tony Marston Send private email
Saturday, March 21, 2015
When I've been paid by a US company in the past I've had to sign a W-8BEN form which confirms I'm a non-US person and not liable for tax. Note this was as an individual in the days before I formed a company.
DV Send private email
Saturday, March 21, 2015
DV Send private email
Saturday, March 21, 2015
As a UK business I have not got a US tax ID. A few times I have been asked about it, I just sent them a scan of a W8BEN form and that was sufficient.

You *really* don't want to get involved in the US tax system, if you can possibly avoid it! They might start telling you to fill in US tax returns. Dealing with the UK tax authorities is bad enough...
Andy Brice Send private email
Saturday, March 21, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics
Powered by FogBugz