* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Idea: discount offer after sale

Was having a burger for breakfast this morning and noticed on the bottom of my receipt: "Buy 1 burger and get 1 free (to equal or lesser value). Expires in 14 days."

Seems to me this is a great thing to do for our own sales, in order to quickly generate another sale for another product that otherwise may have been ignored.  Why sell just one product when you can likely sell two?

So the next time I make a sale, I'll have something like this at the bottom of the license email that I send: "We appreciate your support and hereby provide you with a 50% discount on your next purchase, if made within 14 days of this email."

Sounds like a good idea to me, as it may lead to an impulse buy that otherwise might not occur at all.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, March 14, 2015
Actually 50% is probably too generous, so I've made it 25% discount instead.  Be interesting to see what happens.  I'll report back if it works.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, March 14, 2015
This is a variation on bundling, which I have found works quite well. In general, cross selling is a good thing.
fisher Send private email
Sunday, March 15, 2015
Good post by PSB.

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense. I've noticed those limited time offers, though I've never implemented such a special myself. Yes, I do think, hm, is there anything else I need?

I think my receipts from the bookstores back in the states used to have those offers. As it happened I lived far from the city where there existed at the time a bookstore (this was a long time ago back in the age when bookstores existed) so the offer was useless, but it did cause me to think about buying something else.

25% seems fine. Try 50% as well and see if you get an even better response rate. It's not like limited time offers have to be forever!
Scott Send private email
Sunday, March 15, 2015
I think this can work wonders, but only if you have a closely related product (i.e. there is a good chance that the customer needs it too), or a dozen of loosely related ones (i.e. there is a good chance that the customer may need one of them).

The offers I've got after my most recent software purchase were ridiculous.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, March 16, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics