* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

RoboSoft

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone was still using RoboSoft.  My subscription is up and I was thinking of not renewing this year.  It used to be pretty effective in getting me downloads but it has become much less effective over the years.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Regards
Gary
Gary Tarr Send private email
Friday, March 13, 2015

I think download sites have been pretty much usurped by search engines and app stores. They have made things worse by filling them with crapware. There is a real possibility of being penalised for having links from these sites.

The only download side I have bothered to list Hyper Plan on is macupdate.com (which has remained high quality).
Andy Brice Send private email
Saturday, March 14, 2015

I don't use them any more. I'm skeptical that backlinks from cruddy download sites will ever result in traffic or sales, or even a rank boost.

Now I manually  add my appvisor pad links to sites I want our software to be listed on.

Years ago when I used Robosoft, I found that some of the sites the software took me to were trying to put exploits on my computer. My AV software was going nuts. When I reported them to Robosoft, they couldn't be bothered. So there's the security aspect of it all...

And it seems that if you're listed through a catalog like Regnow,  you're inevitably going to get a ton of crappy sites linking to you anyway. So Robosoft is no longer important to me for crappy links. I get them automatically now.
Darren Send private email
Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I always had sales boost with robosoft but it appears that it is not working anymore like before.
Damjan Send private email
Thursday, April 09, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics