* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Insurance rep software?

Have a friend who wants to introduce me to his son's uni' project, which apparently is software designed for insurance sellers.

The guy works is an insurance broker himself, so via some arrangement has had this commercial software created to answer broker pain points, whatever they are.

I know absolutely nothing about this industry or the software it uses.

Googly suggests there's a lot of competition.

Anyone have any knowledge of the industry? Anything I should be looking for, or avoiding?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I've done a lot of insurance software, what do you need to know?
Scorpio Send private email
Thursday, March 12, 2015

Well they want me to go meet the 5 students that wrote it at the university, to see the scope of what it can do, and from there advise on marketing and sales.

Are there any specific legal requirements for insurance software? I know banking software has a bunch of hoops to jump through and comply with but I dunno about insurance stuff?

Apparently it's a SAAS product. Is this widely accepted in insurance circles? Problematic?

Is there a current 'IBM' of insurance software? Who is the gorilla, if there is one, in this field?

A lot of sites have bland and annoying "inquire about pricing" or "Get a quote" stuff. Any idea of general market pricing? Is it normally floating licenses, per seat? What would be considered cheap, normal or expensive?

Anything you can tell me about the industry from a software-selling POV would be handy!

Thanks for your time :o)

AC
Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tried sending a private email, to ask about your product/s and how they did, but it just defaults to this site's index?

So does my email link?

Weird.

AC
Thursday, March 12, 2015

In my experience, software written by universities is strong on ideas, but light on implementation, robustness, usability and documentation. Completely inaqequate for commercial software

The email on this site has been broken for some time.
Andy Brice Send private email
Saturday, March 14, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics