* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google AdWords bans use of hyperlinks (successfulsoftware.net)

Hi Andy,

I am surprised that you didnt post a link to your article, as it is of interest to the BoS crowd:

http://successfulsoftware.net/2015/03/04/google-bans-hyperlinks/

but then ofcourse I realized that you didn't want to risk Joel's adwords account being banned, ha ha ha
Billy Thorpe Send private email
Wednesday, March 04, 2015

The forum would get old pretty fast if everyone posted a link to every new blog post they wrote. ;0)
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, March 04, 2015

I'm not surprised that I had the same frustrating experience with AdWords on January this year.

Fore the first few days waiting I read stories about accounts being suspended for months ... glad it was resolved in just one week (of course with a few phone calls, emails and one online chat :)
Atanas Krachev Send private email
Thursday, March 05, 2015

I've heard of someone having their account suspended for 6 months.
Thursday, March 05, 2015

I have also been fighting this SAME battle for 2 months now.

Thank you for letting me know it's not just me. I'm also a 10-year vet of Adwords.

So let me get this straight.  If I am wrong, please correct me....

So the right hand of Google (Matt Cutts/Web spam team) says that authoritative sights will rank higher, and that such sites tend to "link out" to other useful information.

Now the left hand of Google (Adwords) says, "If you link out, we're going to kick you off Adwords!"

The friendly Indian people I talked to were upset about pages that were not even advertised on Adwords. It doesn't matter, they said; Adwords looks at the entire site.

Therefor, I am seriously about to setup a subdomain (software.domain.com) that will be No-Index for Google-bot, and only used for Adwords.  It will have NO links from the site.

Doesn't that seem a rational approach, based on what Google is saying, doing, and telling me?

Google isn't happy with just one web.  Now Adwords and Search each need their own.
Darren Send private email
Saturday, March 07, 2015

Google have obviously decided that hyperlinks to other sites are a bad thing.  And who's to argue?

It's obvious that it would be far better for everyone if all websites were self-contained and that the only way to navigate from one site to another was to  do so via the Google home page. 

More searches equals More Ads Equals More money.  For Google.

I would not be surprised if one day Chrome just stops allowing hyperlinks between sites under some spurious "security" or "quality" policy.  Of course it would be only done to protect consumers.

If  you run a hugely profitable company that has made it its business to control access to the worlds information then allowing people to move around the web without you knowing about it is one huge lost advertising opportunity.  And that cannot be allowed to continue!
TomTomAgain Send private email
Sunday, March 08, 2015

>Now the left hand of Google (Adwords) says, "If you link out, we're going to kick you off Adwords!"

It was a contractor misinterpreting the Google policy (badly). These people obviously don't have sufficient training and oversight for the job they are doing. And that reflects very poorly on Google IMHO.
Sunday, March 08, 2015

AdWords? I tell you they went berserk recently.. I've mentioned recently how they blocked my account for being "not compliant with new policy". The demand was to have uninstall instructions on the landing page. Ever seen ad landing page where you get hit with instructions how to get rid of that software? Well, that is hilarious how Google expects me to pay them for helping users to get rid of my software before it even gets tried. Account is frozen and I don't think I want to deal with them any longer. They talk like robots and act like police.
Dima Send private email
Monday, March 09, 2015

Yes!! Finally got my site unbanned from Adwords today.
This is the 2nd time in 2 months for the same site, though. Maybe it will stick this time.

The 2nd review didn't require any changes or anything. Totally bizarre.

Note to all:  Put a clear link to "software install/uninstall instructions" on your site, and also post a link to your EULA" clearly by the download button.  It just might help you avoid getting tangled up in Adwords filter.
Darren Send private email
Monday, March 09, 2015

Of course Google don't follow their own policy. There were no uninstall instructions on the Adwords Editor download page last time I looked.
Tuesday, March 10, 2015

No uninstall instructions on their main Chrome d/l page either  https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/ , not surprisingly.

I haven't used adwords in a while because I really struggled to make it profitable, but I do keep meaning to give it another try. Stories like this do rather put me off though.
Anon123 Send private email
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics