* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google Blocking Cr*pware?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, March 02, 2015

This seems like a good thing. Until the mighty Google decide that some legitimate piece of software is crapware. That could kill your business overnight. Google are judge, jury and executioner. So good luck with getting that reversed.

Also, if you type in PerfectTablePlan in Google the suggestions you get are:

PerfectTablePlan
PerfectTablePlan key
PerfectTablePlan crack
PerfectTablePlan license key

So they are still indirectly encouraging people to download from dodgy websites (although not intentionally, I'm sure).
Andy Brice Send private email
Monday, March 02, 2015

Interesting development because what Google is doing is deemphasizing certain categories of paid ads!

In particular ads where a malware distribution company pays Google for the right to use its advertising engine to hijack queries looking for popular open source software, directing users to their installer which installs the software, plus "bundled" malware. Note that the links in question are the favored ad links at the top and were clearly labelled "ad".

So this is a good development, and it's costing Google money to do it. But previously Google was facilitating fraud for profit, which might have created problems for them.

With the "crack" inquiries, it's a different issue. That's the engine recognizing the most common related searches, and doesn't deal with paid ads. The bad actor in that case is the searcher, not the malware company.
Scott Send private email
Monday, March 02, 2015

But has anyone noticed any difference in traffic?

AC
Tuesday, March 03, 2015

My profitability for Adwords has dropped hugely.
I've noticed that campaigns that have been profitable for years no longer are.

But recently, it's moot because I got caught up in their recent indiscriminate dragnet of legitimate software sites. Until I get reinstated I'm looking into other advertising options.
Darren Send private email
Saturday, March 07, 2015

Well I guess said dragnet would be the same crapware filter.

I did suspect there would be more MSVs complaining than cheering, though this is a rather small sample..

AC
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Yeah, it's like the more you play by Google's rules, the further behind you fall.

I go to Youtube and put in one of my product names, and in first position in the results is a 100% spam video purporting to offer a "free, safe" download of my software. Just click the link in the description.  The only place my software is named is in the title and in the key-word stuffed description.

Despite having good videos with a real description, real likes and real views, and even a manually created Close Caption description, and a verified Youtube account.... they think the spam is better.

This is a really hard business to be in right now with Google seemingly so intent to take us down while rewarding spammers.

I sound pissed? Sorry. Maybe just a little.
Darren Send private email
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I don't blame you!

I used to have an instructional (how to) vid for one of my products, as well as a explanatory advert (advertorial). Both were removed after about 5 years, as they were 'advertising'.

Well fair enough, one of them was. The other one certainly wasn't.

AC
Thursday, March 12, 2015

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics